Electric Dryer 3 ---> 4 prong conversion

I just moved into a new house. My dryer is a 3-wire. The new house has a 4-wire outlet. Is there a way to convert a 3-wire to a 4-wire so I can use my old dryer?

Thank you!

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Yes, buy a 4 wire cord and switch it. Step by step directions:

Ed

Should be able to replace the cord on your dryer. Not a dificult task. The

4th wire is a neutral.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi,

Something that should help you out....

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

The fourth wire is the ground. L1, N, L2, ground. On a 3-wire cord the ground and neutral are both connected to the center post of the terminal block. The ground on a 3-wire hook-up is usually a small copper strap that connects the center post to the cabinet. The ground and neutral are separated on a 4-wire hook-up.

Reply to
Ed

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate the quick answers.

Scott

Reply to
Scott