Elec. subpanel question

Hi,

is it required by code for an MLO subpanel feeder to be in conduit? (residential constr.) Thanks.

Reply to
Martin

nope, you are thinking of taps. That is when the feeder O/C device is on the load side of the feeder.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not sure about the code, or what MLO is, but if the feeder is non-metallic sheethed and would otherwise be exposed on a ceiling or wall I would definately consider metal conduit instead. Just take the NM sheathing off the length you need to put into the conduit. You might need to run the feeder into a j-box with the conduit coming out the other end, unless there is some other approved transition device, from NM sheathed to metal conduit.

I know the NEC specifies that any exposed wiring in a basement, garage or workshop (meaning not run through joists or studs behind sheetrock, for example) needs to be BX or armored cable to prevent the conductors from suffering any damage.

I would assume that the same principal applies to an exposed subpanel feeder. If you're trying to save money by not hiring an electrician I would recommend asking the old guys working behind the counter at the electrical supply house in your town.

That, or pull the proper permit and have it inspected. They'll be sure to let you know what's what.

Reply to
sleepdog

Really depends on the installation and the local authorities.

In the SW USA outside would be a yes.

Inside and recessed no.

Reply to
SQLit

I googled and came up empty.

Reply to
toller

Main Lug(s) Only

Google for "MLO electrical acronym" finds that in a couple of seconds.

Reply to
Doug Miller

From

Main Lug Only Mauna Loa Observatory Medical Laboratory Observer Meta-Level Organization Military Liaison Office Milos, Greece - Milos (Airport Code) Ministry of Labour/Ontario Misanthropic Luciferian Order (Satanic cult) Mode-Locked Oscillator Mortgage Loan Officer

Reply to
jstp

Not only did you answer my question, but you gave me a great website. Thanks.

Reply to
toller

"MLO" could refer thes days to Model Lighting Ordinance. There's been some ongoing activity in the lighting industry and the dark-sky groups about such things.

TKM

Reply to
TKM