Efflorescence

This is probably a well discussed topic but I'm seeking the best wisdom you folks have. I'm about to lay a fairly large amount of floor and wall tile. If it should be relevant, the underlayment is 7/8" T&G plywood over 2x10's on 16" centers (1:360 deflection or better) with a

1/2" plywood top layer covered with a shear membrane bedded with thinset. The tile was manufactured by DalTile. The grout will be 1/4" wide and dark gray.

I've been doing this as I finish up my home for several years and been quite disappointed with the amount of efflorescence that has appeared, sometimes several years after grouting.

Is there a preferred supplier of thinset and grout to minimize efflorescence? Are there any techniques that you have used that minimize efflorescence?

The water I use to mix thinset and grout is well water that has been softened and is quite rich in iron, manganese and some sodium chloride from the softening process. Further there is likely some sodium carbonate from a system that raises the pH from 6 to about 7. Lately I've been buying thinset and grout from Home Depot.

Is it worth mixing with distilled water?

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

Reply to
Phil

Absolutely. Another tip. Stay away from custom's brand grouts, I recommend Hydroment #1. Seal the grout. Use CeramaSeal or other quality sealer..

Reply to
the_plumber