E7014 welding rod on plated steel

"TURTLE" wrote

Yup. That is why I retired after only eight years. I was lucky. I had injuries, but came home with all my fingers and toes. Safety offshore is a joke, although it is a little better these days than in the boom years of the seventies.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

This is Turtle.

I was there in the latye 70's and 80's and safety was a word used for protecting the Bottom line / profit margin. If a company could say they did a change in the work or operation to make the job sight safer. The company would get a double write off for the cost of that work to be done.

i was on a helicopter flight coming in from 200 miles out and it lost the tail rotor and went down in 20 foot sea's and 70 knot winds. The crash killed 2 , crippled up 3 / had to retire on medical, and like to have killed the rest of us with hipothermia stuff. All our body temperatures got down to 86ºF to 88ºF being in the cold water and air and just about took the rest of us out that away. The Tail Rotor driver couplings was suppose to be greased every 30 days with out no exceptions. The Tail Rotor driver couplings had no grease in them and were installed 9 month before and at that time no grease was put in them. When the $28 mil. cost bill for the accident came up and the $14 Mil. law suites started fling. The three company involved blamed the $8.00 a hour 18 year old kid as greaser for the problem and ordered him to pay the for all damages. They also fired him and how in the hell is this fellow going to pay the $42 Mil. price tag without a job.

I was the Union Stewart for the District and did have a few words about getting better and more safe transportation to and from offshore. 2 years later, I was not working for them anymore. I wonder if this had anything to do with it for i was told to keep my mouth shut about this?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

"TURTLE" wrote