dual-ganged laundry water valve

I have a familiar laundry water supply cut-off valve that opens/closes both sides by throwing a lever. The valve is leaking and I wonder if anyone has replaced the 4 washers and two O rings inside successfully. Call me stubborn, cheap, and an environment nut but I'm offended by the Home Depot guy who told me to throw it away and buy a new one (he even tried to convince me that the valve couldn't be taken apart). It doesn't look like it takes more than $1 of plastic and rubber to recondition but where can I get the parts?

RC

Reply to
Raymond Cruz

I had to have a plumber replace mine, he also said it had no serviceable parts inside.

CT

Reply to
Lee & Cathi Thomas

I worked as a counterman in a plumbing supply house in the 60's and nearly everyone that purchased a repair kit for a Watts or Simmons laundry valve returned a short time later to purchase the whole valve. They were a bear to repair then and I'm sure it hasn't gotten easier.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Kitterman

Thanks for the responses. I removed the valve by unscrewing two large bolts on the front. If you then choose to replace the valve you'll be done in a few minutes. I found that the valve can be disassembled with a couple of sizes of large allen wrenches and by unscrewing the handle. It appears to me that reconditioning it would only be a bit more difficult than replacing faucet washers but I think locating the right parts is the trick. I ended up spending about $19 for a replacement. If you can use a screwdriver and know where the water supply cutoff is you can do the replacement yourself.

RC

Reply to
Raymond Cruz