Drywall tape

I have volunteered to help my nephew tape and bed the house he is remolding. What is better paper tape or the fiberglass self sticking stuff?

Is there any words of wisdom I should know? Like run, don't walk away!

Dan

Reply to
Danny

I use the paper stuff. But, get the metal corner stuff for any outside corners and secure it wil drywall screws. There is some stuff for the inside corners too which is easier than paper. Have three or four blades up to the 14" wide, open screen sanding material and a hawk. For inspection, use a trouble light and your head against the wall--you'll see the imperfections that need to be fixed. Don't use a shop vac to clean up--it will quickly clog and ruin the filter.

Reply to
Phisherman

Paper. Thinner. See next...

Meet your new friend: Les Izbetter.

Mud, that is. The more you put on, the more you need to sand off. 1st pass is a very narrow coat that holds the tape in place, 2nd coat is an untra thin pass down each side to feather the first pass out to the wall. If you do it right, your sanding will be to take any hard lines away, not to try and remove the "bump". The Bump will be there when you're done, it just needs to be smo-o-o-oth.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Paper is uaually better. I also use a spray bottle to wet it before application. The fiberglass stick-on stuff is ok for some special areas, but in general I don't like it. I used the

135 degree metal-with-paper > I have volunteered to help my nephew tape and bed the house he is remolding.
Reply to
Art Todesco

They both have merit, so try them out and see which one gives you the least joint buildup on end seams. Personally, I find places where either one might be more convenient. The fiberglass seems less hassle working ceilings, for example. Don't even think about doing any sanding without a Magna Sand & Clean (wet trap sander) and shop vac. Trust me, it really keeps peace in the family. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

OK, my ignorance is showing. What is a hawk?

Reply to
Danny

Reply to
Phisherman

I disagree with the shop vac cleanup. I use mine all of the time. I use the paper filter bag over the pleated filter and then clean it after each use. Clogs pretty fast but it does not recycle the fine particles.

Reply to
SQLit

Paper all the way! Fiberglass is thicker and tends to fray. There is a new self-adhesive paper tape that I love working with. It has lots of holes in it for the mud to bond to the drywall underneath. Menards carries it, but it does not have many holes in it and the adhesive is not very good. I like the stuff at Lowes. Sticks better and is loaded with holes. Before mudding, use a very damp sponge on it. If you are careful with applying the mud you will not need to do very much sanding, just enough to knock off any small ridges you might get.

I use a vacuum sanding kit with a shop vac using the HEPA filter and have absolutely no problems with dust.

-- Mike D.

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

Reply to
Mike Dobony