Draining dehumidifier into sewage pipes in crawlspace?

Our last house had a "crawl space" that was sealed. It looked like the family room was an afterthought and the foundation extended for it. The "crawl space" was excavated down to the footings (7') but there was no floor or access to the area.

I had vents added to the space (and insulation covered in Tyvec) and left the window open year-round. That seemed to take care of any moisture problem.

Reply to
krw

Vented crawls used to be SOP here in midwest, until they realized it was easier and cheaper to prevent the moisture, than to give up all that free ground heat in winter. I haven't seen vents on a 'new' crawl in thirty-some years around here. A modern crawl with sidewall insulation seldom freezes hard, even if house furnace is off. That is a lot shorter hill for the furnace to climb in the dead of winter. Of course, few people build crawls now around here, other than on cheap tract homes, glorified trailers, and lots with high water tables.

Unless OP has a high water table or a spring, I'd regrade the yard and redo the gutters, and dry the damn thing out, first. Even add an outside french drain, if none exists. Don't have to dig very deep for a crawl, just a foot below frostline or so.

Reply to
aemeijers