Do I need through wall flashing where roof interests stone wall?

In short: Can water penetrate a wall of limestone and mortar? Should through wall flashing be installed where a wall intersects a roof? Is this a code violation not to do it and if so, which code specifically? This web site would seem to indicate it is a code violation:

which states:

2000 International One & Two Family Dwelling Code

R703.8 Flashing.

Approved corrosion-resistive flashing shall be provided in the exterior wall envelope in such a manner as to prevent entry of water into the wall cavity or penetration of water to the building structural framing components. The flashing shall extend to the surface of the exterior wall finish and shall be installed to prevent water from reentering the exterior wall envelope. Approved corrosion-resistant flashings shall be installed at all of the following locations:

  • At top of all exterior window and door openings in such a manner as to be leak proof, except that self-flashing windows having a continuous lap of not less than 11/8inches (28 mm) over the sheathing material around the perimeter of the opening, including corners, do not require additional flashing; jamb flashing may also be omitted when specifically approved by the building official.

  • At the intersection of chimneys or other masonry construction with frame or stucco walls, with projecting lips on both sides under stucco copings.

  • Under and at the ends of masonry, wood or metal copings and sills.

  • Continuously above all projecting wood trim.

  • Where exterior porches, decks or stairs attach to a wall or floor assembly of wood-frame construction.

  • At wall and roof intersections.

  • At built-in gutters.

In detail: I am having a new home built and the roof and stone work have just been completed. I looked at it and noticed that may be an issue on the walls above a bay window and front porch See pictures:

Counter flashing is being installed but is not yet installed in the second picture above. There is hard sheathing and a thin blue foam type house wrap behind all of the stone. The problem I see is that there is not any sheating or flashing where the stone sits on the roof decking/and/or other framing supports. The stone sits directly on the wood.

You can see the back (inside) of the window here:

A close up showing the stone and mortar on the wood is here:
The back (inside attic) of the front porch wall is here:
Can water penetrate the stone and mortar and run down the back of the stone until it hits the wood and cause problems? The stone is about three inches thick.

My guess is that there would have to be SO much rain for this to happen that while possible, it is not practical to happen. In order to get the builder to fix it, I would have to show a code violation. Is this a code violation? Any response would be appreciated.

Thank You-

Reply to
lance hirsch

Go to BIA (Brick Industry Association) web site. Look in Tech Notes section. Their opinion is that brick & mortar are not waterproof. They also say that brick should not be supported on wood frameing.

If your climate is dry, you might get away without through wall flashing.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

Call the building inspector responsible for your house for cod violations. He is the ultimate authority, even beyond what is written If he says it's OK, it's ok even if it is written differentl elsewhere.

I would not use the realestateinspector site as a reference. While mos of what is said is true, there are comments made that are out o context. In one picture it is stated that water running off the roo will run behind a piece of trim. However, water won't be running of the roof when the gutter is installed. A comment is made about caulkin when it is evident that caulking has not been completed yet. Simpl statements like that, while having merit, are not conclusive due to th stage of construction and should not be used.

As to your problem, the stone should not be supported by the roof an that is the way it appears, so flashing is a mute point

-- hwm5411

this thread:

hwm54112