dish rack beside kitchen sink

Plastic? Search on Amazon (etc) for "plastic dish rack". There are some interesting looking ones - folding, collapsible, over the sink etc. I have had one of the folding ones for years, but rarely use it.

I found racks on a number of sites, but Amazon lists a bunch in one spot to compare.

Reply to
Lee B

Stainless would tend to scratch the sink; not a good idea. My vote is for plastic, if you insist on having an ugly rack.

Reply to
krw

Here is a good one.

We have a dishwasher yet the wife just purchased a new set of non-stick pots & pans that she insists can't be cleaned in the dishwasher but must be hand washed instead?

Why I have no clue?

John

Reply to
John

I bought a plain metal rack about 4 yrs ago, and it rusted. I'm sure it was supposed to be stainless. If I had wanted to keep it, I'd be inclined to try some Rustoleum rusty metal primer and enamel.

Well, it's hard to find any household product not made in China, which means it's sub-standard quality. I was a big fan of anodized alum. cookware for a long time, but Calphalon's recent products are crap. Bought some stainless, of several different brands, and it is crap. Can't put the 3 ply in dw, and the stainless gets little black pitted spots (apparently from salt added to cooking water).

Reply to
Norminn

I doubt it. My dishwasher takes a little over 1200 cubic inches of water four to six times. (And takes how long?) And it heats the water for washing and the air for drying with a very large heating element.

My sink takes a little under 1200 in³ twice. (and finishes much faster) And the water is heated with gas.

On top of that, _some_ "dishwashers" are only for rinsing. You have to pre-soak and or scrub everything first.

I used dishwasher for several years and never needed a rack. The two or three no-dishwasher items were washed, shaken off, and set on a paper towel.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Not even my glassware is _that_ fragile.

You hired Ricochet Rabbit to do your dishes?

Reply to
Wes Groleau

What are your odds for ech of the following?

  1. He's a widower.

  1. He'll treat you the same way he treated the one who couldn't tolerate it and left.

  2. He couldn't tolerate her but he was too stupid to see what he was getting into.

  1. He couldn't tolerate her because he's impossible to please.

The only one of those you want is the first and I'm not available. I still miss her too much.

The real reason "all the good men" are married (besides being an extreme exaggeration) is that the bad ones don't marry or don't stay married (equally exaggerated).

Reply to
Wes Groleau

You've measured the water consumption (interesting units)? The heating element is used only to "top off" the water temperature and aid drying time. It's use is optional on most washers.

Your DW is connected to the cold water?

Utter nonsense. You just lost any (little) credibility you had.

Paper towel?! You environmental terrorist, you!

Reply to
krw

Come on John, you know why. It's because your wife said so and if you want peace in the family, you listen. Been there and done that. Women are more powerful than they look especially when you are married to them. I think they get women101 classes before they get married.

Reply to
Doug

I used to buy every 5 years or so new teflon fry pans ....both cheap and expensive ones and no matter how I cared for it, the teflon wore off. More important, I kept hearing how the stuff was toxic and I figured as I was getting older, maybe I should pay attention to this. I have since bought 2 good metal fry pans (non-teflon) because I figure I can add oil when needed and I don't have to worry about any toxic stuff being eaten. I don't know for sure about the toxic part but I figure these fry pans will last my lifetime so I won't have to spend on new fry pans every 5 years or so.

Reply to
Doug

You are dumb enough to believe that rot.

It figures that you'd buy plastic fry pans. But you did finally learn that fry pans should be made of (some) metal. Stainless is good. You should try it next time.

You continue to prove that you're a real dumbass, Dumbie.

Reply to
krw

Measured the dimensions. Sink would be 1200 if the corners weren't rounded. DW would be 1200 if it were three inches deep, but I'm pretty sure it's deeper. Point is that it uses more water, not less.

Yes, but I prefer germ-killing temperatures (even though the soap probably is adequate).

Not sure.

If you have never had a "dishwasher" incapable of making dishes clean, good for you. If I had known what a useless thing it was going to be, I would not have allowed the builder to put it in. I have seen others like it, too. And there are enough of them around for advertisers to believe that making reference to them will "strike a chord"

The one I have now, however, actually does work.

Not only do I use five or six a year that way, I wipe up spills with them occasionally. Sue me/

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Hope you aren't OD'g on your meds... sounds like it.

Reply to
Doug

You're wrong.

Yet you recommend washing by hand. Amazing.

The point being that the DW's water is heated to the same temperature by the same gas. That's a wash (so to speak).

Whether or not they work well enough for you, is irrelevant. You said that "_some_ dishwashers are only for rinsing" is unadulterated bullshit. Please show me where a manufacturer claims that their models "are only for rinsing". BTW, don't blame the washer. Blame your water and the soap you're using.

Wow! I'm amazed! (not really. They all do, some better than others, though)

You use a paper towel for two months? Why don't I believe that? We have a pad beside the sink, made for the purpose.

Reply to
krw

The one for whom there is no hope is hoping? Impossible.

Reply to
krw

What I've learned over the years of using my dishwashers, is that if I don't rinse the dishes manually before putting them into the dishwasher, over time the food particles collect at the bottom and eventually foul up the water pump and result in a repair. I don't know if this is true of all brands or more recent dishwashers.

BTW, my wife did buy the Simplehuman stainless steel dish rack today which appears to be better made than the old one plastic/metal one we had. Of course the price was a lot greater than what we spent in the past for the other racks. I guess in time, we'll see which is better. On the box, it has a 5 year warrantee FWIW.

Reply to
Doug

Good question. Answer = no.

Now I suspect some clear finish applied to the stainless steel. Box clearly states stainless steel, 5 yr warrantee and won't rust or discolor. Perhaps after 5 yrs, the clear finish comes off???

More important... 2 or 3 people recommended this brand so I decided to tell my wife and let her decide.

Reply to
Doug

Hope so. I think the references here was the final straw in deciding what to buy. It wasn't cheap but I guess nothing good is cheap. My wife told me had she known there was stainless steel racks, she would have gotten one sooner.

Reply to
Doug

Come on over. Since you don't believe tape measures, I'll let you scoop water from the sink into the dishwasher.

I didn't recommend anything. I pointed out that someone's statement does not accurately describe my dishwasher or my sink.

I don't give two cents for what a manufacturer says. What the product does is what's important.

Your pretense of misunderstanding for the sake of argument destorys your credibility. Good-bye.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Not true of any dishwasher I ever had, not even the ones that required that asinine "pre-wash."

Reply to
Wes Groleau