Digital TV

That would actually be an unusual situation because transmitters are designed to operate on a specific channel. Plus purchasing new equipment gave them a chance to buy much more reliable and power efficient equipment.

Reply to
George

Right, that is why pretty much all of them had to go out and buy a complete set of additional hardware (transmitter, waveguide, antenna) to transition to digital

Reply to
George

I've had the exact same experience here. My antenna is highly unidirectional. It should need a rotator to point it exactly to each transmitter for each different channel. But that just doesn't work here. I do recieve good signal over a wide area with the antenna aproximitly 90 degrees off. For one PBS station I need to rotate it but even that is iffy if it will work pointing to the tower or turn it 180 degrees and it picks up good signal from the rear of the antenna. I never know which is going to work best that day.

Reply to
Tony

Yes. You need to amplify the signal when it's good.

Reply to
Gary H

Here there were no stations on VHF Lo (2-6), 1 on VHF Hi (7-13), and the rest on UHF. They all stayed in the same band after conversion. Channel 7 (ABC) used 10 for digital, and changed back to 7 after the analog was turned off.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

That doesn't sound right, especially if the change in frequency as small. Shouldn't it be something like the crystals used in old CB radios?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Next time you're running a 4 watt tv station, that might be valid.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Commercial tv transmitters arent just a matter of crystals they are very expensive custom built to frequency, so they dont produce interference on nearby channels ...........

plus every station needs at least a primary plus a secondary backup.

loss of operation for even a hour costs them bbig bucks

Reply to
hallerb

If you don't actually know why equipment needs to be replaced, you could say so. Maybe you just don't want to admit not knowing.

Reply to
Sam E

My big pioneer plasma seems to do a good job with digital channels in the DC area

I have numerous ways of capturing the digital signals here all the devices seem about the same to me, but great difference can be seen in what antennae is used and it's placement

I live in a high rise apartment - 24th floor of 26 - SW facing balcony -- not idea, but I have a big HD antennae on the balcony next to the DirecTV dish and get good reception on nearly all channel in the area even though I can not get a direct view of probably 50-60 of the compass.

Reply to
Steven