Decra shake (stone covered metal roof)

What are peoples' experiences with Decra Shake (stone covered metal roofing)?

Here in the Northwest, natural roofing materials (like cedar shake) look great, but just don't cut it for longevity.

We're rebuilding our house and had decided on a stone-covered metal roof (Decra Shake). At first glance, everything we read and saw looked good.

The 2 roofing contractors we've had bidding (which were recommended by Decra),are making this product sound like a disaster. We're being told that the valleys, flashing around penetrations, the sidewalls and the edges are poorly detailed and it will be difficult to achieve a good installation.

We don't really have that complicated an install, so we're being led to believe that Decra is just a poor product that's hard to install. Can anyone speak to this? Do we just have some incompetent installers? If so, I don't suppose anyone can recommend a good roofer in the Seattle/Bellevue area?

Thanks

--rob

Reply to
Robert Little

They don't like the product so they are incompetent? They think its a PITA to install so they are incompetent? A competent installer is one who will telly ou what you want to hear? Seriously, maybe it is possible to get a nice looking result with a lot of PITA, but just because someone would rather hang an easier to use product, doesn't necessrily make them incompetent.

Does what they are sating make sense to you? How DO you detail cut edges with this product? Can wherever you are getting the info touting the product, answer these Q's? Not being trained or not specializing in a particular product does not make someone not competent in their usual trade methods.

Good luck and tell us more if you get this product installed.

-v.