Deck Materials?

I am going to build a 4 foot high 5 x 12 foot deck to my back entrance. One side will be bolted to the house frame. Its obvious that I shall not be able to "maintenance paint" quite a few places years later once the deck is in place. What is the best practice and best materials to use so that I don't incur any moisture-buildup or wood rot problems. Using pressure treated lumber is one idea. What about puttting a polythene "vapor barrier" where the deck is bolted to the house? Is there a bolt type that won't rust?

Reply to
PaPaPeng

I think there is a specail flashing used for that purpose. It is L-shapped, One prt goes undet the outside cover of the house and the other geos horizontally undet the deck planking. Each part of the L is several inches.

Reply to
emptyshell

Most recommend coating the deck first, all six sides, before installing the wood. If you use a good oil like Penofin, it will last for years. Not being exposed to the sun it will not break down nearly as soon.

PT is good. For a bit more money, there are: Ipe, mohogany, cypress, redwood, etc.

What

May help. I'd be more concerned about the house than the deck.

Galvanized is good. Stainless steel may be available in that size but I don't know for sure.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Forgot to mention, for decking screws, check out

Edwin Pawlowski

You can use aluminum flashing to fit under the siding (or whatever you have) to protect the house and then use treated lumber for the rest of the deck. They sell galvanized lag bolts for rust (they may even have stainless - I am not sure).

Reply to
borgunit