Deck ceiling

What is the best material to use for the ceiling of a roofed-over deck? I don't want vinyl soffit material. Thanks.

Reply to
<hank

I have installed pine laminated plywood that has a grove in it every 3 inches. Now that it is installed over the whole deck (18 x 36) it looks like tonge and grove pine is intalled up there. All the looks and 1/4 the work. My neighors have installed cedar strips 1/4 inch thick and 4 inches wide, simular to wainscotting but on the ceiling, and that looks great too

Just my 1 after tax cent worth Kirk

Reply to
Kirk

Beadboard, either the real stuff or the plywood faux stuff, is the traditional material, assuming the ceiling area is protected from the weather. Think old-time front porch ceiling. Personally, depending on how porch roof was framed, I'd prefer an open ceiling, the better to keep a lookout for leaks, and to eliminate places for small flying things to make nests. It also makes the porch feel more open, assuming a pitched roof over the space. (not to mention cooler, since there is no dead space to get superheated and re-radiate back down all evening.) Of course, if roof was framed up with typical rafters and plywood or OSB, that wouldn't be real pretty, so custom houses tend to use pretty beams and T&G for the roof deck over the porch, so it makes its own ceiling. Now if your porch is one of these metal kit things, your choices will be limited, since it may be inpossible to attach real wood to it.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Bear with me. I sent this earlier today but it hasn't shown up on the newsgroup. I would appreciate any suggestions on a good material to use on the ceiling of a roofed-over deck. I do not want to use vinyl soffit material. Thanks.

limey

Reply to
limey

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good material to use on the ceiling of a roof-over deck? I do not want vinyl soffit material. Thanks.

I apologize if this message appeared earlier - it's not appearing on my computer.

Reply to
limey