crimped versus wirenutted grounds?

I replaced an outlet today at a commercial site. Now I admit I don't know anything about commercial electrical, but around here grounds are required to be crimped residentially; wirenutting isn't allowed.

I was surprised to see the ground was wirenutted. I assume that if crimping is required for residential, it would also be required for commercial.

Is that likely to be a valid assumption or not?

Reply to
jack

You must be in a place that doesn't follow the NEC, therefore you need to follow whatever rules that place uses

Reply to
RBM

I question whether it is required for residential. Call your local electrical inspector and ask him. I have found that some electricians on construction projects who have limited experience will just copy what everyone else is doing and assume that is the correct way to go. None of them read a code book.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Well, the consensus seems to be that I am wrong; so maybe I will check on it. Though I hate to have any more contact with the authorities than I have to; when I applied for a building permit for a shed, the inspector wondered why I never got a permit for my deck.

I learned it in a HS adult ed course taught by an electrical inspector. He was perfectly clear that the only acceptable ground union was a crimp, though he didn't know why.

Reply to
jack

I suspect they used to accept grounds that were just twisted, that was common. Then someone pointed out they must use a listed splicing device and the cheaper crimp took over.

Reply to
gfretwell

If the only acceptable ground is a crimp, then why do they make "greenies", the green wirenuts with a hole in the end for running one of your grounds out the other end to attach to a device?

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Ken wrote: ...

Because as at least one other has already said, _IF_ (the proverbial "big if") it were true for the OP's jurisdiction it would be local code restriction, not NEC...

--

Reply to
dpb

Jack-

Perhaps your thought that "only acceptable ground union was a crimp" is due to misinformation supplied by an electrical inspector who just didn't know the real code requirements?

he did offer a not too reassuring comment that "he didn't know why"

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207