Crimp-and-tape vs. wirenuts -- for hots?

It most certainly does. With wiring, only perfection is acceptable. Tape doesn't even come close.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And you think wirenuts are "perfection?" Good luck with that.

Reply to
CJT

"Perfection" is defined for practical purposes by the NEC. If it accepts a practice, that's perfect enough...

Reply to
dpb

That's going to be news to the NFPA, publishers of the NEC.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You would use the system as designed by the manufacturer. There is a matching cap designed to be used with those connectors. You can get them at a real electrical supply house.

Reply to
George

Wirenuts are properly applied by holding the wires parallel and then twisting the wirenut.

You won't see that if a quality tape such as Scotch 33 or 88 is used. You will see that if you use that stuff commonly found at the big box stores.

Reply to
George

No. I didn't say that. Wire nuts may be the only choice in a cramped box where the wires are already too short for working with a crimper. But, crimps are always the best way, when it's possible to use them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I suspect it accepts the practice because wire nuts are faster to apply than crimps, and professionals like it that way.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You can "suspect" it all you want, but the real reason is that while it is indeed, reasonably fast and inexpensive, _LOTS_ of empirical data and lab testing confirm it is quite reliable and safe so more complex methods are totally unnecessary. The point of the code is, of course, to provide a safe and effective set of requirements to the practical application. As someone else already noted, the Code wasn't begun by government but by the insurance in order to provide the benefits accruing to their members by the adherence to such standards. Consequently, when Code is updated to account for new technology, the prime consideration is that it meets these objectives.

--

Reply to
dpb

Probably all true. But, I'd like to know what types of people install the wire nuts in testing situations. I've opened electrical boxes and found some interesting horror shows. If they're installed by idiots, they are certainly not safe.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That's so for any connection technology. And it's part of the reason why there are licenses and inspectors.

Reply to
CJT

Guys,

Brand new to this forum... great stuff here. Searching for info on "wire nuts vs tape" is how I found this forum and thread.

My electrical sub-contractor has been splicing wires with electrical tape. He insists that "3M-33 tape is acceptable for splicing #12 and smaller conductors". I showed both him and my inspector NEC 110-14, which includes the phrase: "... All splices, including ground wires, shall be made with an approved splice cap or wire nut...". They still say electric tape is acceptable, but can provide no evidence for this assertion.

My question: Is there any code that specifically accepts, or denies, the use of electrical tape for splices in residential electrical installations, specifically for wire sizes #12 and smaller.

Thanks very much for your help in this.

Bill Doyle The Construction Coach

Reply to
billder99

This particular discussion has sort of died because people seem to think it's done. You might want to re-post this as a top level new thread. You'll probably get more responses.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No, it doesn't. Not in the latest (2005) Code, anyway.

The entire 2005 NEC is available online here:

Neither that sentence, nor anything remotely similar to it, appears anywhere in Article 110.14.

The evidence is Article 110.14, which states clearly, "All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device identified for the purpose." [2005 NEC, Article 110.14(B), third sentence]

If the tape is listed as providing sufficient insulation, then it's ok.

See above.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Here's another way to look at the situation: The customer (Bill) is obviously uncomfortable with electrical tape. It's his money. It doesn't matter what the code says. It's not allowed in his home. I've used four electricians in 20+ years. None of them have used electrical tape, except one guy who used little bits of it to identify certain wires in a crowded box while he wandered around working in other areas of the house. He removed it when he was done.

Now, you could reverse this and ask "What if the customer insisted on tape, and the code didn't allow it?" The answer is simple: He might find it impossible to hire an electrician, and he'd have to find another way to get what he wanted. Maybe do the work himself.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

But that addresses the _insulation_ of a splice, not the mechanical splice itself.

My reading/understanding of the question is that apparently, they're allowing only a twisted connection covered by tape and I don't think that is allowed if so...

Maybe again it goes back to the crimp vis a vis wirenut, but that isn't specifically what this particular poster stated/asked.

--

Reply to
dpb

Thanks for the web site. It will come in handy.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Doug didn't bore you with the whole paragraph

110.14(B) Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy. Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered. All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device identified for the purpose. Wire connectors or splicing means installed on conductors for direct burial shall be listed for such use.
Reply to
gfretwell

Which if the question is to be taken literally as worded makes the answer to the question "no", not "yes"... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

That seemed to be what the question was about...

As far as I can see, it *is* allowed.

Reply to
Doug Miller