Covering basement ceiling insulation

I've got a cold basement, with batts of insulation overhead keeping the main floor warm. What's the accepted way to either secure the batts in place or to cover them up? I don't want to sheetrock the ceiling yet (though the space will become a shop in future years). I really like the idea of covering the mess with plastic sheeting, but am uncertain about moisture issues and what code might call for. Ideas? Thanks...

Reply to
JimC622911

Chicken wire stapled to the bottoms of the joists.

Doug Miller

Doug has a good suggestion with the chicken wire - but we use pieces of 1/8" or 1/16" rigid wire cut slightly wider than the joist spacing. "Bow" it into the opening and it will hold the insulation in place.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

That's what I would use. But call your local building inspection department to get more accurate anonymous advice.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

push up bars (as Jim suggested) work great and are fast to install. install 1 every foot.

"push up bars"........... Not to be confused with "push up bras"

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."

Reply to
Detector

I assume that a vapour barrier is necessary, and that it should go on the inside (warm side) of the insulation. If so, how does one wrap a vapour barrier around all the floor joists, above the insultaion?

Kevin MacTavish snipped-for-privacy@sunderland.ca

Reply to
Kevin MacTavish