countertop flowing through opening in kitchen wall?

I am redoing my small galley kitchen. At one end of the main counter space, there is an opening in the wall through which one end of my new countertop may flow (the opening is at the same height as the countertop; also, the opening is the same width as the countertop). The opening serves as a window into the dining room area.

I was wondering whether to extend the new countertop through that window into the next room? Or, should I stop the countertop flush with the inside wall of the kitchen--and then create a window sill for the opening/window?

Reply to
biggobot-groups

Extend the countertop through. That would be way cool for entertaining, and for looks if the rooms have similar decor.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

It's a cleaner look and easier to clean with a continuous countertop. It's also easier and safer to have one plane, so you can slide stuff through the pass through window. The final consideration is how the countertop material will look in the dining area, and that depends on the countertop material and what's in the dining room.

RicodJour

Welllll.......it's up to you :o) Do you want overhang to dine at or serve from? Might be handy for dinner parties and/or casual meals. We have similar opening but don't really use it because hubby parks computer in dining room under opening :o)

If you extend it into dining room, it probably should be color to blend with decor of both rooms. A cabinet below might be handy for serving and storage. We live in condo, and every inch of storage space is valuable.

Reply to
Norminn

From a design perspective, stopping inside the kitchen and creating a window sill is safer.

But, risky as it is, if it works at all, a countertop flowing through the opening coulld be a show stopper.

Your house, your lifestyle, your call.

Why not remove the wall entirely and do an island trreatment?

Ken.

Reply to
bambam

Even better, put in a conveyer belt like they do at some cafeterias.

Reply to
Art

Or one of those circulating water "streams" that floats the sushi by you in the Japanese equivalent of a cafeteria.

RicodJour

I'd say stop the counter at the wall, and put furniture of the right height on the other side of the opening. If the counter in question is ever likely to get wet, you'll want some sort of ridge/trench to stop spills from dribbling into the other room.

Reply to
Goedjn

Or ski-ball.

Reply to