Cost Of Hot Water Heater Replacement

My hot water heater has sprung a big leak and I suspect I am going to have to have it replaced. It is a gas heater and I think it is a 40-gallon tank. Does anyone have a rough idea of a price range for the parts and labor? Thanks!

Reply to
Dutch Buckhead

$250 to $899. Too many variables. Ask some neighbors what they have paid.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
twfsa

Had mine replaced, a bought one for a rental, and it cost about $250.00. 40 gallon, installed by a big box installer with a 10 year warranty. Same position, just disconnect empty and take up the stairs then reconnect the new one. High efficiency costs more, figure 500 or so.

Reply to
Brian M.

I replaced my 40 gals with a US Craftmaster (10 years warranty, 261 Thermr/yr.) four years ago it cost $180, including two flexible stainless braided hoses, a ball valve, black pipes and fittings all-in less than $220.

I believe things have change since, there are more safety features. The cost of the heater depend on the efficiency of the heater and warranty (6, 8, 10 and 12 years).

Reply to
Jim B

I just replaced mine 3 weeks ago with a 40 gallon GE 9-year warranted unit from Home Depot. The heater was $299, but I was shocked to learn that HD wanted $250 for installation. This is for what amounted to 2 hours of work, including travel time to the local hardware store for a longer ½" black iron pipe nipple. The water lines and vent stack hooked up with no problem.

Oh... and they don't make HOT water heaters. Just water heaters. :)

Tom Flyer

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--

"--={Flyer}=--" wrote

You were "shocked"? How much did you expect it to be? Hopefully not too much LESS than that!

Reply to
Red Neckerson

"Red Neckerson" wrote i

I also bought a 40 gallon GE 9-year warranted unit from Home Depot for $300. I was shocked to learn that they wanted $250 for delivery and installation. So I quickly rented their truck for $25 and took it home. Little did I know that it was "shockingly" hard to get rid of the old fat unit. If I do it all over again $250 is not so SHOCKING.

Reply to
Leroy Mowry

including

Obviously you two idiots have no idea what it actually costs to run a company. What do you think pays for that stocked truck and trained installation tech that comes out to install it? How about permit fees? Who has to eat that time if they accidentially made a mistake and have to come out in 30 days for a gas/water leak? Then what about when he spends time loading, driving away and dumping that old unit that no longer works? Hmnm, that $250 is beginning to look like the bargain of the century. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

work, including

I do some WH changeouts. If I supply the new WH, I haul off the old one as part of my price. If the HO supplies the WH, my price to install is the exact same amount, but I don't haul off the old one.

There are a few 'country' roads around here that are littered with WH's that the HO couldn't get rid of. Our local construction/demolition landfill just started accepting scrap WH's for about $75.00 each. None of the local trash services will haul off the old WH's either.

Reply to
HeatMan

Bull! HD charges $250 here for installation also. Doesn't cost anything to get rid of the old one (specific days for pickup each month). The last time I changed my water heater, it cost another $20 because I replaced all the flexible copper fittings and it too me about 2 hours to remove the old one. This included about an hour for draining the old tank, clean up the whole area including dusting and washing the walls an floor, cogitating for about half the time, answer the phone, and attach the three flexible fittings and the electric wires. Except for the water draining time, and who would pay for a guy standing there doing nothing, any professional could unhook the old one and attach the new one in 20 minutes max.

Sure, a flat fee requires that you charge enough to cover costs for even the hard jobs. Personally, I don't feel it is necessary for me to pay for extra for my simple job just so some one with a hard job gets off easier.

I don't care about the guy's business or how it is run, I just want value for the bucks I pay. If some one can not do a job for a reasonable amount, then go elsewhere and let the incompetent go broke. Not my job to make sure he doesn't go broke.

If you know anything, you can estimate whether you have a hard job or not. if not, then forget the HD installation, borrow a truck and haul the tank home. Call a plumber and what he'll charge to hook up the new tank, then drain the old tank unhook it and haul it to the curb. It sure won't cost $250. Plumber will probably do it for $100-$125 and take about 25 minutes max; 10 minutes of that will be standing around so you won't feel cheated when he finishes in 15 minutes.

If you have a hard job, do the HD $250 install, and let other idiots help pay for your install.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon