Corian for Kitchen Counters- Opinions

Hello,

Have contractor grade laminate now and is in bad shape after 13 years of wear. Needs replacing for sure.

Any opinions on this material for kitchen counter replacement?

Over the long haul it as good as Laminate? Worse ?

Stone is out of the question due to cost. Hate tile.

Any feedback welcomed.

Reply to
Dave

Granite, same cost as corian, but its REAL

Reply to
m Ransley

A decent compromise is 18" granite tile.

You get all the benefits of granite - real stone, beauty, heat and cut resistance - and far fewer grout lines. Plus, it's much much cheaper than most solid-surface 'tops, and you can do it yourself.

JSH

Reply to
Julie

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in news:3954-415A0317-258@storefull-

3135.bay.webtv.net:

I have no idea what you mean by "real" -- Corian is just as "real" as stainless steel, laminate, tile, or any other material we use to create a counter surface. Granite has the distinction of being manufactured underground, but I don't see that as any advantage -- it needs to be judged on its suitability for the desired usage.

Corian has the advantage of being completely non-porous, so it won't stain or need sealing (like granite), and you can completely integrated sinks (a wonderful feature). On the down side, it can't take high temperatures or some chemicals (acetone in particular). Mind you, citric acid isn't something you want to leave sitting on your granite countertop.

I am going to try Silestone for my next counter top -- non-porous, but also takes high temperatures.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

Yep, all plastics are real. Man made, but real. Granite is not manufactured, nor is any mineral.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I had corian now have granite any of the "stone" surfaces will be much better than corian it is soft plastic scratches easily as well as it can melt. Cost is very close for all of the countertop material depending upon the color you want.

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

i really like silestone...great stuff....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

"Dave" wrote on 28 Sep 2004:

I have had Nevermar (one of the Corian-lookalikes)for 15 years and like it very much. One of the advantages of a synthetic is that if you're so disposed you can customize it - different edges, stripes, coved backsplashes, etc. If you want to spend the money, with a coved backsplash and integrated sink you'll have no cracks and crevices to gather dirt.

That having been said, here are some things to consider.

1) NEVER put a heat-producing appliance near a seam in the material, especially a toaster oven (don't ask how I know). If you must, put it on a glass counter protector with little feet. If you screw up a seam, it's a real problem to repair.

2) Using a garbage disposal with a Corian built-in sink may induce hairline cracks in the sink - or at least it did in all the early versions of the synthetics. The sink won't leak, but the cracks will be noticeable.

3) Green pads will take out almost all marks. In the rare cases in which a green pad won't work, fine sandpaper used lightly will. The countertop should always look about the way it did when it was installed.
Reply to
Doug Boulter

I know it is not trendy but mica may be the best surface if this is a family kitchen. I'm sure there are lots of yuppies who never spill bacon grease on the counter, don't drop the red hot skillet on it and never spill cherry coolaid but for the slings and arrows of family life it is hard to beat mica. When I see these designer kitchens I assume the pots and pans are just decorations.

Reply to
Greg

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:kno6d.13109$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

Lots of minerals are man made now. You can buy man made sapphires, rubies, diamonds, etc. Glass is probably the oldest example of man making something that used to only be obtainable by digging.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

rofl. me too.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

None of these are quite the same as that formed by nature though. Especially glass. I know the windshield that was put in my car last week didn't come out of a glass mine.

Granite for countertops is taken from a quarry, cut, polished. The physical makeup of the granite is not altered. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What about a concrete counter top?

f/256

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:21:43 GMT, "Dave" scribbled this interesting note:

Haven't used it but I've heard good things about that Quartz product from DuPont. I believe it uses quartz crystals in a man made base and seems to combine the good qualities of granite with the good qualities of man made materials.

John Willis

i LOVED our corian countertop! we have granite now, and it shows each and every water spot. my new house will have CORIAN once again!

Reply to
rosie readandpost

: : Haven't used it but I've heard good things about that Quartz product : from DuPont. I believe it uses quartz crystals in a man made base and : seems to combine the good qualities of granite with the good qualities : of man made materials. : : : -- : John Willis : (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

do you know of any websites for this product? i would love to read more!

Reply to
rosie readandpost

We are about to have our second kitchen done in Silestone..Our old house we had the kitchen remodelled and they installed Silestone and we loved it so are having it again in our new house. Hard as granite but doesn't stain or require sealing. Can sit a hot pan on it and not have a problem. It takes a lot of effort to scratch it. A friend of ours had a house with corian and every time someone sat a wine glass on it there would be a red stain which had to be scrubbed off. Also the molded sink had a yellow tint to it. Also it scratches very easily requiring you to have it repolished (if you choose the polished finish) or you have to buff it out. I like the look when new but if you use a kitchen a lot I would recommend something a bit more durable. HTH! John

Reply to
John

Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:WFx6d.25217$Wa7.25170@trndny06:

Man made minerals don't have the same properties as the natural ones because those properties are undesirable, not because we can't duplicate them.

I never implied otherwise. I was responding to your assertion that all minerals were not made by man. I am sure that someone could manufacture granite, but I have no idea if it would be economically feasible. Probably cheaper to quarry the stuff.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

Reply to
stuart8181