Considering detached metal clad workshop questions/comments

Gee, I know it *DOES* help. Do you wander about on a golf course in a T-storm waiving a one-iron above your head, thinking that it couldn't hurt?

Wow!

Reply to
krw

There's a difference related to grounding. That one-iron probably isn't grounded (except through you).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

So, you drive coast-to-coast because it's too "dangerous" to fly? Life is a risk, but it beats the alternative. Grow up and join the rest of the adults.

Reply to
krw

Hey, Keith! You really don't understand any of this, do you. OK, just for you we'll give the "Dick and Jane" version.

There are many facets of our lives and makeup where primal or basic fears are not necessarily overcome by logic and science, or even observation. That spinning helicopter rotor blade is 3 or 4 feet higher than your head . . . but most people still duck going underneath it. I "know" that the airplane I'm on most likely won't fall out of the sky. But that doesn't prevent the tiniest little bit of anxiety when it takes off. (I've logged almost 700,000 air miles in the last

12 years.) I also know that I am quite safe inside my shed during a thunder storm. Still . . .

Here endeth the lesson. Have a nice day.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Top posted for your convenience.

Really appreciate the commentary! Senior moment was cause of my 13A circuit breaker goof, reality check discloses a preponderance of 15A and a few 20A breakers. House had major re-do about 15 years ago and a second panel was added although it has mostly 15A also. Have struck out getting electricians to return calls although one did and set an appointment that wasn't kept. "Been on vacation and didn't know that he didn't keep it" with follow on call with "Guess you'd better find someone else as we're swamped". Builders are running the same course.

Considering the multitude of Store It Yourself building being metal it doesn't seem like condensation with drips falling on content could help them survive. Understood that they probably lack heat & air but still. Either way air & heat are part of the equation! Our DIL asked a local builder for rough estimate for 20X40 building, not specifying what material but I presumed wood, and got "About $35K to $40K" that included air & heat. Call to his office about 25 miles away got "We don't have much going on in your area but I'll let him know and if interested he'll call" but no call to date.

Still pondering and really hoped for users of the metal clad observations. Got one user saying he's ready to tear his down and replace with wood frame. Window air unit is dropping humidity and keeping garage somewhat livable but we moved into the house in Jan

2006 so d>Previous owner had land graded for a workshop but didn't follow
Reply to
nospambob

Well here's a good point. You've priced the wooden option, now price the metal. You should see a significant difference.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

I have a buddy who put up a 30x40 foot metal truss / metal skin building a few years ago. He had the foundation work done by a pro and did everything else himself. Dual 240/120 outlets every 6 feet. Eight foot fluorescent lighting, insulation, heating, and cooling. Doing all the work himself (including excavation for the foundation) his cost was about $20,000. He uses it for a combination woodworking/metalworking shop. He is happy with it. Condensation isn't much of an issue seeing how it's in Albuquerque, NM.

D. G. Adams

Reply to
dgadams

Reply to
nospambob

"Pete C." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net:

That makes sense and indeed I have my own service entrance and meter for the shop.

I was going to put in 100 amp service but the cost was only a little more so I went with 200 amp.

I don't even want to think what the copper wire would cost for the service entrance now.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler