Concreting dirt basement walls?

We currently have a dirt basement with really ugly dirt walls. They do have a plastic vapor barrier over them for now, but we were hoping to get someone to concrete the walls to give the basement a more finished look.

Does anyone know of a company that does this? I've tried the yellow pages but haven't had much luck yet.

Thanks!

Reply to
missgoogler

You probably shouldn't just slap concrete up there, you need to either build a rebar frame and shoot concrete onto it like a pool or build a cinder block wall in place. There are engineering issues like providing for water buildup behind the walls and maintaining the integrity of the foundation while the work is done. A cover up should be less intensive than a foundation retrofit. A simple wall with minimal footing and weep hole drainage at the bottom should suffice.

If you just want to cover the dirt, consider building a stud wall out of PT lumber and covering with cement board (rather than standard sheetrock) with perhaps packing peanuts as insulation behind. As long as this wall is non load bearing, it can slowly wear out over many years safely. Mud the seams with thinset and then tile or paint as desired. I see no reason you couldn't skim coat that with drywall mud if you only planned to paint.

Try the building dept at city hall, ask if they have issued permits for similar jobs and who was the contractor on those permits. Masons would be the next try and then call general contractors until you find one with the right specialties.

Reply to
PipeDown

What does the house rest on, dirt. Get a few contractors out , its a big job.

Reply to
m Ransley