Concrete Pouring

Contractors were out doing curb repair in my neighborhood yesterday. The high temperature was in the upper 20s F and the low this morning was around 10 F. The pours were covered. I helped pour center pivot pads in the winter. We had 1% calcium added to the mix and covered them with plastic tarp. My dad would never have done such a thing. Pouring concrete in any below freezing temperature was a definite no, no. Freezing temperature would be one possible drawback to the 3D housing. I didn't see anything about that in the few articles I've read about it.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I don't know but watching TV the other day about building the Hoover dam there was a big problem in heat generated on curing concrete if casting huge pieces for the dam.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I happen to have a guest at the house who is in the concrete business. I asked for his opinion on this.

He said that low forties is usually the lowest they like to pour anything in, even when using cold weather additives. Of course, sometimes exceptions have to be made.

Formed walls are easier, but pads can be difficult to work once the temps get any lower. Even for a curb, IHO, teens and twenties seems a bit low. Obviously, covering the pour is essential. Maybe they have a mix that cures before freezing and/or maybe they just don't care how strong of a cure they get.

Job security comes to mind. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson