Concrete over broken concrete slab?

I have a very old 18' x 12' garage (really just a storage bldg now) with a badly cracked slab. A concrete contractor said that he could but a layer of sand over the old slab and put a new 4" reinforced concrete slab over that. I won't be using the bldg for anything heavier than a motorcycle and don't want to spend very much rehabbing this old thing (bid is $1400). He said this method is common and pretty reliable. Any comments? Thanks.

Reply to
Zen Cohen

Placing two inches of compacted sand over broken concrete is used for airfield reconstruction. The sand can be 100% compact by flooding with water .

Reply to
Craig