Concrete backer board for tile

I would like to install ceramic tile over radiant floor tubing.

Can I do this with acceptable results?

  1. Install PEX on top of existing subfloor and use furring strips of appropriate thickness between loops.

  1. Install 1/2" concrete backer board on top of furring strips.

Heat transfer plates and thermal mass not an issue at this point. I am more concerned about structural integrity, i.e., will back board be strong enough to support tile without flexing or cracks in either tile or mortar.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

No. The backerboard must be fully supported, and preferably adhered to the subfloor.

RicodJour