cold water in morning

Hi, I have a problem with my hot water heater. It is a two year old fifty gallon unit. When I am the first person to use water in the house and I take a shower I will start to run out of water within about fifteen minutes. If the next person to shower waits about an hour there is enough hot water to shower for at least thirty minutes. There only seems to be a problem for the first shower in the morning. I replaced the thermostat and that didn't fix the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jbwalker3

Just a guess, but I had a similar problem a long time ago ... If the cold water connection to the water heater is not connected to the internal pipe that runs inside the heater down toward the bottom, then the hot water can stratify in the tank with only a portion getting really hot - the water near the top of the tank doesn't get heated very well. Your first shower draws hot water (incorretly) from near the bottom of the tank but runs out fairly quickly. The next person to take a shower probably gets more/longer hot water because the mixing of the water in the tank from the turbulence of the first shower and there isn't time for the hot water to stratify again. The connection could be wrong for several reasons -- - cold water line intially not connected to the "cold" connection - the downtube was taken out and/or moved to the "hot" connection - the downtube was never installed or put in the wrong place by the factory. Not the easiest thing to check - you'll probably have to shut off the water and remove the hot and cold connections to the water heater and look inside. BTW - I think that this is more likely to happen with gas hot water heaters that mainly heat the water at the bottom of the tank as opposed to electrics which usually have multiple elements in the tank.

Reply to
The Streets

Why don't you say whether it is electric or gas, what brand it is, and even what model it is? Do you think they are all alike?

Not me, but there are people here who even know the difference between one model and another.

How many thermostats does it have.

How many thermostats does it have.

Reply to
mm