Cold bedroom

Bdrm A: 12x12' 2 exterior 2x4 walls, one with a 5' patio door double pane, vinyl,

Bdrm B: 11x10' 1 exterior 2x4 walls with a 5' patio door double pane, vinyl

Both A and B floors are over unheated garage but ceiling has R28

Bdrm C: 14x13' 2 exterior 2x4 walls, one with a 72"x34" low-e double pane, vinyl, floor is over heated bsmt

I assume that the 2x4 walls are insulated since the rest of the house seems to have R12

Attic is R40

Bdrm A is much colder than the others. The only reason I can think of is the larger exterior wall space of A but then C also has a large space. Any other ideas? Maybe part of the wall is not insulated. How can I test this?

Thanks

Reply to
Martik

Could be that you have to balance the heating system better. That means closing off a bit of heat in the other rooms so more can travel to the colder room.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Check some of the obvious. Go up in the attic/crawl space, and see if perhaps one of the connectors has come loose, or needs some taping. Foil tape is inexpensive, easy to work with, and sticks good. You might be surprised how many leaks you find. You can go up there and just turn the fan on to feel for air flow.

Check and see if the louvers are open in each room . (duh, but I found one the other day that was closed, and I have no idea why) See if there are any gates in the ductwork that are closed/partially closed. Finally, as suggested, adjust the louvers/controls in the other rooms to force more air into that room.

These simple things may solve your problem. If not, you might have to put a larger duct into that room. Even if it is badly insulated, if you force enough hot air in there, it will FEEL warm, if only for a short time. Sounds to me like a flow problem.

Let us know.

My house has radically uneven temps on the one heat pump. I need to get up there some day and do the things I suggested to you. Yeah. Right. One of these days when I have some spare time. ....................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

No way to know without information on how it's being heated. Forced hot air? Hydronic baseboard? Electric baseboard? Radiant of some type? Number of FHA vents? Length of baseboard? Zoning / thermostats?

Could be many things, particularly an unbalanced system as noted by others.

Reply to
Pete C.