Code question on generator grounding

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:54:16 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote Re Re: Code question on generator grounding:

Thanks for the detailed description. I can easily visualize the "field" modification that you made. Very creative. Nice going.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 11:02:09 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote Re Re: Code question on generator grounding:

It looks like it can be an interesting "home-made" project:

1) Make a template out of cardboard 2) Use the cardboard template to fabricate a working interlock from 1/8" aluminum plate.
Reply to
Caesar Romano

This was my question as I read this thread. The OP said something about standing next to the generator and having different potential. But my understanding about "grounding" in this case is that its about lightning. I don't think there will be any current flow from the generator through a person's feet and into the soil no matter how its wired or what he touches. Is that correct?

CLG

Reply to
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert

I did this in my previous house before interlock kits were available. It was not hard and worked very well. After checking the cost of the kits (ridiculous!) I plan to do it again, esp. since I have two 200 Amp panels, the kits would cost $300 to $400 depending on where you bought them.

In my situation, I do not want a gen large enough to power the whole house so I won't use autostart anyway. I will manually turn off the HVAC brakers before starting the gen. Then everything else in my house will have power available, even if I cannot run it all at the same time.

I had a 6KW gen hooked up this way before. Had a 21 day power outage and another 10+ day power outage and never a moment's trouble and no overloads of tripped breakers occurred. Saved a lot of $$$ >On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 11:02:09 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote Re Re: Code

Reply to
NoSpam

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 12:55:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote Re Re: Code question on generator grounding:

You have two 200A panels in one house? Or is one of the panels in a work shop building?

I've have a similar configuration and experience with a couple of 10+ day outages.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

This is standard for homes with 400 Amp service.

Reply to
NoSpam

Your house must be way cool!

I don't understand why anyone would want to select the circuits on the generator. To me, having the whole panel on the generator would be much easier to set up and much more flexible.

If the generator doesn't auto start, and I have never seen one that did, then you can shed which loads you want to lock out, and the family knows to be careful when the power is out.

The one time the daughter uses the blow dryer, and everything goes dark would be enough reminder. The breaker lets you safely test the limits.

Reply to
metspitzer

But you had better check your local codes. It's likely they will not allow that setup. NEC et al are only starting points; then the local guys get into the act and add their own idiocy, I mean, opinions of how things should be. KNOW BEFORE DOING is the proper mantra. Otherwise you could be doing it more than once.

Reply to
TWayne

But this is what you have to do if you use a transfer switch/panel that has only a few circuits. That's why I plan to backfeed the main panels.

Reply to
NoSpam

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:48:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote Re Re: Code question on generator grounding:

Indeed, having the generator feed the entire panel is the way to go. That gives you the flexibility to choose which loads to feed at the time you need to use the generator.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:04:46 -0400, "TWayne" wrote Re Re: Code question on generator grounding:

Very true. However I am fortunate enough to live in a rural area not subject to codes. Nevertheless I generally do my own projects to code where the code make sense.

Reply to
Caesar Romano