Code for below grade gas pipe

I have two questions relative to the international building code for buried gas pipe:

  1. Minimum depth?

  1. What materials are acceptable? Is it OK to use galvanized pipe? (My contractor is doing that and I am afraid of future gas leaks due to rust.) What does the code say.

Many thanks.

Reply to
NoSpam99989

bob kater

Codes vary from location to location, but here in winter free south, it must be 24" below grade. It must NOT be galvanized. It is usually plastic, copper or black iron (in a sleeve).

Reply to
Robert Allison

Best person to ask is your local inspector. He has the final word.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

metal guarantees it will need replaced sooner or later.

Reply to
hallerb

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Based on the replies it seems galvanized is a big no-no everywhere. He got a permit? Must need one for that kind of work. Is it posted? Does it need to be where you are? No permit then no post work inspection. You get galv pipe which may be illegal there. As mentioned, a call to your local inspection office is the final say.

Reply to
Al Bundy

It would be best to check in your own municipality or with your permitting authority. Code can and does vary between jurisdictions. Did your contractor pull a permit? If so, does it describe what materials he is using?

Reply to
lwasserm

Here is whats required in Arizona..

Gas yard line must be scotch (green)coated for burial in the ground or approved plastic with a minimum 18 AWG copper tracer wire.

We bought our ScotchCoated pipe at Naughtons.

Reply to
Rudy

Reply to
Craven Morehead

I decided not to bother with a permit when I buried my bodies, but 6 ft is still a good idea; dogs, etc.

Reply to
Sev

metal always rusts given enough years.

plastic line appears to last forever...

Reply to
hallerb

Not always.

Properly installed, there is a pipe out there that comes pre-tarred for underground applications. You also need the 'tar-tape' for the fittings.

Reply to
HeatMan

"Sev" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Drywall buckets. Less work.