Cleaning dog puke, poo and pee out of the carpet?

Dog had his first accident yesterday while nobody was home. He's pretty well house-trained, but it looks like he got sick this time- there was puke, diarrhea and urine all over in a bedroom. It's not really his fault, so there's no getting mad at him, and fortunately we have (recently installed :-/ ) Stainmaster-guarded carpet.

All the solids came up ok, and most of the liquids were still beaded up on the surface and easy to soak up with a paper towel. I didn't have anything else to use, and knowing time is of the essence, i used alternating moist "swiffer" pads and paper towels. It all cleaned up pretty good- there is no visual indication anything happened. The room aired out pretty good and the smell of rank dog feces doesn't knock you over when you first walk into it.

However, if you get down close to the floor you can still smell it in a few spots. I'm pretty sure that the trace amounts of anything that would remain is going to be in the upper 1/4" of the carpet fibers (the carpet itself is some pretty thick stuff- probably 1.5").

Suggestions? Is it possible to completely remove all the trace amounts and have the carpet "good as new" again?

At first I thought of steam cleaning, but won't that just blast it all down deeper, possibly into the pad?

Thanks for any and all.

(I assume this isn't too off topic for 'home repair') ;)

Reply to
phaeton

There is a product in pet stores called Nature's Miracle. It breaks down the enzymes and eliminates odors. It will also help prevent your dog from "revisiting" that spot.

Reply to
Ray

Woolite makes a pump spray spot carpet cleaner for pet stains. They also sell an aerosol which consists of 2 cans attached to each other. I use the pump spray, let it sit for a few minutes, and the blot it up. After it dries I repeat with the aerosol. It is usually cleaner than the rest of the carpet when I am done.

Reply to
Art

Hi, I have cat/dog here. Dogdie doos are easier to clean. Cat's is much worse. Steam cleaning works fine after picking them up as much as you can. Don't squeeze just gently pick them up as much as you can then steam clean with enzyme based cleaner. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Pitch the dog.

Reply to
Steve B

I've had good results with Resolve Dual Power (?) carpet cleaner (the two part that mixes) and Spot Shot aerosol. 3 big bottles or cans at Costco are about $9 - varies on which brand they carry at any given time.

Reply to
tev9999

:>

:>> Dog had his first accident yesterday while nobody was home.

admittedly, i'm not the accident cleaning expert in our home, that's a Patty question... but when she's gone, i first wait. Let the droolies soak and with help of cardboard & walmart baggy, i skoop. Avoiding my own regurgs, i wait awhile. Then bravely take the carpet-cleaner do the area several times... paper towels to speed drying... then close down and forget about it. Two Irish setters & a calico can keep you busy, you are right... it is *not* their fault... no rubbing of noses or that kinda stuff... let them out... if any one of them goes when i see them, don't wait, toss them *out* immediately... otherwise, live with it, it's part of the pet course...

best...

janos s

Reply to
AND Books

Reply to
A.D.C.

You have described the situation that prevents me from ever buying a house that I know a pet had ever lived in. YUCK!!! YUCK!!! YUCK!!! Phil

Reply to
MCG

Me too .... the enzyme cleaners work

Reply to
MikeP

Hi Phaeton, Since you state you have recently bought new Carpeting, and that this was a Stainmaster Carpet, no doubt it probably cost you a good penny to have put in.

If you have quite a bit of it in the house, a good recommendation I suggest, is to buy yourself a 1/2 way decent Carpet Steamer. Something like a Bissel Pro Heat upright Steam Cleaner will fit the bill nicely, and are easily gotten from places like Best Buy, and even Wally World.

The machine over a short time will pay for itself, as you won't have to ever call the carpet cleaning boys, and be at their mercy ($$$) for generally a horrible job that they do anyway.

Ever notice how these guys (Stanley Steamer, and the like) are in, and out in under an hour, the carpet is soaken wet for two days, and doesn't look any cleaner?

I honestly don't think any of these companies use solution, they just water to clean to cut their overhead costs. Then how they always seem to tack on their extra little "charges"? (Pre-treat, Spot Clean, Deodorize, StainBlocker, etc)

The only thing they are experts at, is sweet talking you out of your hard earned money, and "professionally" twisting you arm, turning a low "estimated" cost job into a much more expensive one.

These upright Bissel Steam Heat Extraction Machines work very good, and IMO, are the best method for cleaning (Versus spraying something on a carpet, and then just rubbing it in).

The self heated automatically mixed "solution-hot water" they produce that is sprayed down is virtually immediately picked up as you go, the carpets are dry in 2-4 hours, you do them at your convenience, and do them when, and as often as you like.

Have another emergency-accident? No problem, out comes the machine, it's up, and running in 5 minutes, and done a short time later.

For what you've invested in carpet, I say spring another $200 for a machine. I really like mine, and from doing a few friend's carpets with them, the machine has easily paid for itself.

They'll also serve double duty, with the Upholstery Attachments for cleaning couches, etc, and also great for doing your vehicle's interior (Upholstery-Carpets) Mark

Reply to
Mark D

Hi, Must be a guy who never had a pet. You think human is cleaner than animals? My whole life I have dog/cat.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi - I am a landlord and use Ordor-X it is a bit costly but it WILL do the job of removing the odor. Great stuff!

lipstickonachick

The Hoover wide track with auto rinse was well rated by Consumer Reports.

Reply to
Art

I second the upright carpet cleaner. I have a Bissel Pro Heat and it comes in handy. Usually there is already solution in the machine, so I just have to add some hot water and go. I do use the spot shot or resolve first, then use the cleaner to make sure the area is well rinsed and soak up any liquid left over. If you don't have one, might not be a good idea to go over the area with a shop vac to get out as much liquid as possible.

Reply to
tev9999

Obviously yes. Have you taken a dump on your carpet lately or licked your own ass?

If the answer is Yes to either of these, keep it to yourself!

Reply to
Larry Bud

I'm told the same thing, except it's two parts water and one part vinegar. Also to never use a sudsy/detergent type product as you never really get the soap out.

Oren

Spray well with Febreeze, and immediately absorb (wipe up with towels, using plenty of agitatation), followed with a lifht spraying of "Nature's Miracle" Skunk Odor Remover formula, brushing lighly, and allowing to dry.

I use this for cat puke (mainly hairball remnanats) all teh time, and it works well.

In extreme cases, or for repeatedly soiles areas, steam cleaning may be necessary to prevent permanent staining. There is an additive called "Kitten 88" which works well in teh traffic lane cleaner.

A newer product, calle "EX-IT", put out by "Big D Industries, is a good after-spray deodorant, if purchased in aerosol form, but it leaves a residual smell reminiscent of bubble gum. EX-IT can be obtained from your local dry cleaners or janitorial supply company.

IHTH.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~