Cigarette smoke detector

Maybe they should ban child birth. The world is way to dangerous to have kids.

Reply to
"Blattus Slaf

They called them coffin nails in the 40s, Who didn't know?

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't smoke, never have. I am also not black, latino, gay, female, handicapped or particularly religious but that does not keep me from defending their rights. This is all about who the nanny state will come after NEXT.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not at all. It all depends on concentration

Reply to
gfretwell

One's rights end when they impede on somebody else's right. I don't care if smokers smoke themselves into a coma. Just don't stink up the air I breath. Smokers are worse than other drug addicts in that their habbit is so obnoxious. A heroin junkie shooting up doesn't stink the air I breath and is nothing but a mild eyesore. An alcoholic is similar although there is a stench within 2' or so; compare that to a smoker's 20' stench.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

When indoors, the concentration is great enough to cause health problems. Smokers were permitted to smoke at work, in elevators, etc. until just recently. Now they have shoot up outside.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

That science has not really been presented. Just because you can smell something does not mean it is a dangerous concentration.

It would be just as valid if I said my hearing was being damaged by listening to you whine about it. I can hear it so it must be harming me.

Reply to
gfretwell

Actually it has. One need only look for a correlation between environmental smoke and health effects.

# Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at an increased risk for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more severe asthma. Smoking by parents causes respiratory symptoms and slows lung growth in their children.

... # Exposure of adults to secondhand smoke has immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system and causes coronary heart disease and lung cancer.

Supporting Evidence

  • Concentrations of many cancer-causing and toxic chemicals are higher in secondhand smoke than in the smoke inhaled by smokers. * Breathing secondhand smoke for even a short time can have immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system and interferes with the normal functioning of the heart, blood, and vascular systems in ways that increase the risk of a heart attack. * Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25 - 30 percent. * Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing lung cancer by 20 - 30 percent.
Reply to
AZ Nomad

my aunt a non smoker died a horrible lung cancer death, her hubby a chain smoker is still alive.......

lung cancer is a terrible way to go.

trouble breathing makes victim anxious, which makes it harder to breathe.

as far as the coffin nails comnment, tobacco companies knowing the hazards continued claiming no proof its dangerous, lied thru their teeth.

did you knopw the marlboro man died of lung cancer

Reply to
hallerb

The problem with that study is they don't use the same standard as OSHA uses. They do not talk at all about concentrations and threshold limit values. How can you possibly talk about toxins without talking about the dose.

Reply to
gfretwell

a smokers rights ends when it impacts me. from polluted air or sky high insurance costs.

smoking is entirely voluntary. as such they should pay the added costs of health care

Reply to
hallerb

What an idiotic comments.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I repeat, how can you evaluate toxins without talking about dose?

Or are you one of those people who want the chlorine and flouride banned in tap water?

Reply to
gfretwell

Well, each mineral that your body requires to function is also toxic. You would die without those minerals. At higher doses, these minerals become toxic and you die due to the level of the toxin. In fact, iron poisoning from vitamins is a frequent occurence in children.

So, how does that square with your statement?

Reply to
Dave Bugg

well voluntarily sucking in known carceinogens probably isnt a good idea.....

next

Reply to
hallerb

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hey, how bout just letting it go everyone. There is nothing anyone is going to say that will convert anyone else.

Reply to
Red Green

No. It is about not having smokers shit all over the air others have to breath. I agree that the talk about secondhand smoke, at least outside, is junk science. However, when dealing with addicts who don't give a damn about anybody but themselves, you need laws to get them to quit being so selfish, obnoxious, and to quit puking all over the air. If you had thirty million addicts who needed to literally fling shit at others in order to satisfy their addiction, the would be specific laws being written against that as well.

I'm sorry. I just don't have any sympathy to people who engage in such an obnoxious selfish habbit. If I didn't have to breath the stench, I wouldn't care. I don't care if they smoke themselves into a coma. Just don't exhale where I have to breath the shit.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

just keep raising taxes on tobacco till the industry dies, just like its killed so many of its customers.........

name me one other product thasa still sold knowing its hazards

Reply to
hallerb

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:ae4065cc-b850-469f-bf0d- snipped-for-privacy@d70g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Marriage license.