Choosing a painter

Good day All,

I'm currently shopping for a painter to paint the interior of our house; got 2 estimates so far.

One of the estimates (the lower estimate) lists what is included in the cost (materials etc.) and indicates 'one coat and 2 coats where necessary.' Is it normal to paint with one coat? I was under the impression that 2 coats is a standard and you cannot get the 'true' color with only one coat.

All opinions welcomed. Thank you.

Reply to
lukaszlos

1 coat is standard unless you want to pay double, you just pick what covers in one coat.
Reply to
ransley

Thank you for this. We are changing color, however staying within the same light paint spectrum. What do you mean by 'you just pick what covers in one coat' - you mean pick a color that will only require one coat? thanks.

Reply to
lukaszlos

A pro will have a good idea if one coat will work, if its much different it will require two coats sometimes 3, it can often be backrolled within 15 minutes to get it to cover, a real second coat wont be double the price since they will already be set up, and prep could be the major cost, it might only add 60-70 a room for a second coat, If i look at a color I usualy can tell someone if its one or two coats and if two I point that out before so a person has the option to get a color that will cover in one to save money. .

Reply to
ransley

I've been a painting contractor for 20 years, always 2 coats, change of color or not.

Reply to
Greg

Thats a waste of money

Reply to
ransley

No, it's how you make a paint job look good.

Thats a waste of money

Reply to
Greg

I painted 25 years with a crew of 11-15 on the best of homes, price is always a consideration for the customer to save money, and 2 coats are rarely necessary. Unless of course you are repainting junk houses that havnt been painted in 25 years and are all stained or color change or shade is alot different. 2 coats is rarely needed in any job to look great.

Reply to
ransley

In 20 years of painting I bet I can count on one hand the paint jobs that weren't a color change, and those would be rental units where the owner buys $5.00 a gallon paint and paints it everytime someone moves out, and yes those would be one coat, but looks are not a factor in those owner's minds.