Chimney Rebuild -- matching brick color

Before I can re-roof, I need to have my chimney rebuilt from the roofline up. The chimney is a 3-flue wide brick, that punches out through the wall of the home...all the way up through the eaves....until it comes through the roof. The lower part of the chimney will NOT be changed.

My problem is matching the brick color/style.

Our contractor suggested stuccoing the entire chimney, but I'm not a fan.

We found a similar brick color....and are wondering if the roofline will provide enough of a break to allow it to match.

Anyone else encounter this problem? Ideas? Suggestions?

Reply to
Stanko

if the bricks of the chimeney BELOW the roof line match, think attic then disassemble and use old bricks for above roof line. guaranteed match, new bricks never match. use new bicks in attic where they are invisible.

is the chimney in use?

many convert to high efficency direct vent furnaces, we just did that today:)

best to go power vent hot water tank, remove old chimney blow roof line, patch deck..........

no more chimney to maintain, no mtching issues, no flashing, no leaks.

for many homes chimneys are no longer necessary.,

unless you have a wood burner.......

Reply to
hallerb

Good suggestions; Thank you . ....Unfortunately, I have 2 fireplaces...and while I have never used them, I don't want to change the potential resale value by capping them off.....

Reply to
Stanko

Check in the nearest large city - there are companies that reclaim bricks and may very well have what you want. Also your nearest Habitat stores.

Then there's the possibility of painting the chimney...

And don't forget the appeal of the Washington Monument. They changed building materials half-way up and you can see the demarcation line. You could invent some story having to do with the slave-made bricks becoming unavailable during reconstruction...

Reply to
HeyBub