Chemicals in dry grout?

Once tile grout has dried, does it contain any harmful chemicals? I have a parrot that's chewing it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

... Polly wants to crack 'er ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Polly wants to take everything apart.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Grout is calcium carbonate plus silica if sanded. May have a bit of talc. I don't think any of thoose would hurt the bird but it might prefer to get its calcium via a cuttlefish bone.

Reply to
dadiOH

It's not trying to eat it, it's trying to destroy it. Most ends up on the floor, but I was concerned about a bit that gets in it's throat.

So the strong smell you get when using pre-mixed grout is just a solvent which has by now long since evaporated?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Birds often ingest pebbles for aid in digestion. Next time use epoxy grout.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Your parrot is bored and/or it's trimming its beak.  Either way, get off you fat ass and go get some non-toxic tree branches and build a tree for it to chew/play on.

Reply to
Zazu

I bought this recently, is this epoxy based?

James Wilkinson Sword

She has plenty to play on, with, and chew up. Branches, nestboxes, cardboard boxes, an old wooden birdtable, some old wooden furniture, two other parrots, .....

I'm also growing a tree to go in the aviary.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Try Polly Filler

Bill