Chair Rail Molding??

What seems to be the proper height for installing Chair Rail Molding? Some are saying 36" and others say 32" ??

Reply to
GNTRY

I've never seen a chair rail at 32"...

Reply to
montana

Some people have high-back chairs, others have low-back chairs. The proper height of the chiar-rail molding is where the top rail of the chair would hit the wall !!!

Reply to
Phisherman

It seems to me the proper height is the height of your chair backs, since the purpose of the chair rail is to protect the wall from damage by the chair. Another consideration would be the style of the architecture. Here in America an 18th century Georgian style room might have a rail at 26 or 30", but a 20th century craftsman style might have a railing at 60 or 70".

Reply to
John Leeke

I have chair rail in my kitchen, its a custom built house, the rail is 36 inches to the top from the floor. When installed the builder had no idea what type chairs I had, the chairs are not close enough to the wall, but if they were it would match up to the chair back.

Reply to
tflfb