Chainsaw question, file under clueless

Heh!

Something like 15 years ago, I had a bunch of Samoan landscapers remove several yuccas from my front yard. They were part of the landscaping crew at Charlie Keating's Phoenician Resort doing a little moonlighting in the suburbs.

Scared the cr@p out of me watching them. They wrapped one end of some steel cable around the yucca, wrapped the other end around the hitch on the back of their truck, and put 'er in gear. I had visions of that cable snapping and taking out the picture window directly behind the plant. Guess they knew what they were doing though, they came right out with only some minor ruts in the grass.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

You should disconnect the fuel line, drain the tank, empty the carburetor and start it and run the rest of the gas out of it. On the other hand it's not difficult to start it up once a month to keep it running.

An electric will work just fine. Just watch what you buy. Electrics seem to have crappy oilers. Find one with a good oiler or you'll be attached to an oil can every time you use it. Either that or wear out your bar and chain quickly.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Dear Nancy, Great last name! You make a body proud. As to the saw, well, a whole bunch of reasons why it won't start. Old gas, and dirty air filter are two big ones. Black spark plug is another. If you got the cords to get to the trees, electric saw is a great idea. My Dad has one, and he really loves it. While running, remember to push the chain oiler every five to ten seconds (or whatever the book says).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ether in the spark hole is how my Dad had his $500 generator turned into a lump of useless scrap iron. by a "helpful" neighbor. Please, do not do this to any equipment you want to use again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Starting fluid on the air filter is good. I'd never want to spray it into the air intake.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Get an electric car.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Chainsaw gas tank holds maybe 8 ounces. It's not a big deal to just dump the gas out, on your sawdust pile. Run the saw till it won't run any more, and put it back in the box. Pack a bunch of news paper or paper napkins under the saw, cause the bar oil drains out and collects in the bottom of the saw case. This, I know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got a recip "Sawzall" years ago. Used it, with a bunch of cheap junk blades, to take out a stump. Yer right, a "Sawzall" is a good idea. Harbor Freight has em on sale as low as $20 now and again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The starter fluid trick with a 2 cycle is a no-no. You are running an engine with no lube oil!!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Also, the fuel line is entirely internal to the shrouding. Almost impossible to put a fuel valve in an accessable location. Dumping the tank before beginning is no problem and the dumped fuel can be used in lawn mower or other equipment.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Bad gas. Once it sits for a while, it's useless. Drain all gas. Fill with fresh gas. Pull the cord until your forearms look like Popeye.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB