Ceramic Tile Removal SOS!!!

My son is replacing the ceramic tile in his shower. He has removed and is replacing the wall tiles now, but problems with the floor of the shower, they are original to the house about 20 years old and on a concrete base.

Should he try to remove the grout and try to chip each one out?, start from an edge? cover the old tiles and tile over raising the drain cover? OR WHAT?????

Thanks much

Marshel OShields

Reply to
WalkingMan

Break up one and start scraping them up.

Reply to
dadiOH

on 9/7/2007 8:57 AM WalkingMan said the following:

If installed right, there should be a thin underlayment between the tile and sub-floor to which the tile is cemented. The underlayment is nailed to the sub-floor. If you can't see the underlayment when you remove the door sill, you may have to break a few tiles off near the doorway. Once you can get a pry car under the underlayment, you can pry it up in larger pieces or if lucky, the whole underlayment (don't count on it!). If, however, the tile is cemented to the sub-floor, then a lot of scraping will be required. Be sure to use an underlayment with the new floor.

Reply to
willshak

on 9/7/2007 11:32 AM willshak said the following:

OK, I missed the part about the concrete floor. Maybe some of what I said about an underlayment still applies. My 1/2 bathroom, laundry room, and family room are on a concrete slab and has an underlayment for the vinyl tile in the laundry and 1/2 bathroom, but the family room has a floating floor directly on the concrete slab.

Reply to
willshak

on 9/7/2007 8:57 AM WalkingMan said the following:

Anyone reading my two responses to this message earlier, please disregard. It seems I'm only using half a mind this morning. I canceled both, but they still may get through.

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote in news:13e2srco26rjdc5 @news.supernews.com:

...and will remain on the Internet for all eternity. :)

Reply to
kpg*

on 9/7/2007 12:02 PM kpg* said the following:

Thankfully, I won't be around for all eternity. :-)

Reply to
willshak

electric chipping hammer drill. wear ear and eye protection.

regards, charlie

charlie

MARSHEL

Reply to
WalkingMan

Been there, done that and got the T-shirt. it was amazingly easy. I used a 2 lb hammer and some cold chisels. If it all comes off clean, no sweat. If you find you ave dammaged some areas of the cement just fill in and do a skim coat of thinset then the next day tile as you would normally tile.

Reply to
claude