Central Vacuum Cleaner Hose Blocked

The 20' hose for my central vacuum cleaner sucked up a small plastic garbage bag. We have tried putting several broomsticks in the hose to push out the obstruction, but it has not worked. Short of buying a plumber's snake, any other suggestions?

Reply to
Peter.Barach

If it's a "plastic" hose:

Try flushing it out with a garden hose, using a wet rag or something to contain leakage and pressure loss where the two hoses overlap.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I like that one and the one of reversing air flow direction to blow it back out.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You're sure it's _in_ the hose? Assuming you've not been able to suck it back out the way it came in, I'd try the following: Buy a length of BX cable, > 20", possibly with thought in mind of using it for upcoming project. Tape over one end, so no sharp edges are exposed. Use that end to push out obstruction, while vac is sucking on either end of it. I keep some odd lengths of armored cable around for just such contingencies. HTH, J

Reply to
barry

I think the BX would be a good idea. You've also got the right idea to wonder if the clog is in the hose.

Wonder if the original poster tried the vac without the hose to see if it had draw back at the outlet?

Small note: The " symbol means inches.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Art Todesco

The clog is definitely in the hose; there's plenty of "draw" at the outlet when using the other hose I have for another floor. We'll try the garden hose... Thanks for all the suggestions!

Reply to
Peter.Barach