Central Air Unit Not Cooling House

I have 2 units- one upstairs and one downstairs-

The upstairs is blowing- I feel the air blowing- the thingamabob outside (can't think of the name) is operating, but no cold air. I did notice that there's no water being pumped out.

I hear its the compressor, but hopefully it's something else. Is there a few other checks I can do before I call the rapis- I mean the HVAC guy?

Thanks!

-- brendan mowgli

Reply to
brendan mowgli

It could be many different things. I would guess from your technological language (thingamabob) that it might be best in this case to contact a local professional to check out the problem.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Take your tester, and see if it's getting power. Note: Don't open any cover boxes, or take off any metal panels, while doing thing. From your post, it sounds like you aren't very repair skilled, and there's no sense getting hurt.

Then, call your friends and neighbors. See which HVAC service company they use, and which one has been honest in the past.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You mean WhozeZitThatDuzZat

Reply to
Red Green

It HAS to be getting power, as he said the inside blower and outside "unit" (compressor) are both running. They will not run without power...

most likely , or most common, problem is that the system needs freon.

James

---------------- Take your tester, and see if it's getting power. Note: Don't open any cover boxes, or take off any metal panels, while doing thing. From your post, it sounds like you aren't very repair skilled, and there's no sense getting hurt.

Then, call your friends and neighbors. See which HVAC service company they use, and which one has been honest in the past.

Reply to
James

My guess is the outside fan, but not the compressor, is running.

Reply to
cjt

Or that the capacitor has died, as happened to ours recently. The clue was that the house lights kept dimming briefly as the compressor tried to start but then quit. The fan was running just fine.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

"> Or that the capacitor has died, as happened to ours recently.

Why does everybody around here yell capacitor? Maybe I should empty all the other parts out of my service truck and just stock caps.

Reply to
Big Bob

You could also stock enough resistors, ceramic/electrolytic capacitors, transistors and integrated circuits to repair all those control boards. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

THERMOSTAT!!!!!!!!!

(Hope you're feeling better, now, buddy.)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hope you get stuck with the worst hack out there, he rapes you for a few thousand , and then it breaks again 2 days later. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

There would be less name calling and negative attitudes from home owners if the HVAC "pros" charged a fair price rather than whatever the market will bear and then some.

I had my central A/C installed by a HVAC pro, he retired, sold out to a mega HVAC company hack, and I saw first hand the dark side of the trade.

I don't think I'd ever give my business to anyone named "bubba"

Reply to
Steve Stone

U R Meen. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Believe me, the names of the thieves gets out there quickly. If all the HVAC techs you talk to mention one company, you can bet on that outfit being real crooks. Most of the time a tech won't badmouth another company. You may hear, "Yea, I know them, they're high(expensive)." Large companies with shiny new trucks have a high overhead and higher prices. The larger companies get customers with a low service call price but hook them into a service contract which may wind up costing the customer more money in the long run. Me and my friends especially despise companies that prey on old folks. I know of one guy who laughed at an old couple he sold a new system to, the only problem with their old system was a loose blower door. There's a fellow in Maryland who has a good website with a lot of practical information.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Get a clue, Stone boy. You dont think my name is real Bubba, do you? I'll give you a little experiment. Go start up a new HVAC business. Get just a handfull of employees (3). After 1 year, when your business has failed, come tell me how much you were charging. Only then, will you begin to understand why we DONT charge $20 for a service call, $6 lb for refrigerant and $25 for a contactor. There is NOTHING I buy in this business that is inexpensive. It all gets passed on. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba