Cen-Tech 1000W Inverter Questions

And plenty of GM alternators failed trying it. And you underestimate the power required by a refrigerator. A 16cu ft frost free refrigerator draws an average 724 watts. That's a LOT more than 3 amps.

The statement was people can "run their house" on a 1000 watt inverter run off the car battery. 60 watts for a tv (or more) plus a few 60 watt room lights - you have 300 watts in no time, then the fridge comes on. Or you attempt to run your furnace. (another 500 to 800 watts). The 1000 watt inverter is going to be running pretty close to it's limit - and so is the 100 amp alternator.

If you want short term, extremely limited power at very low efficiency, run your car engine at idle to charge your 12 volt battery to run your inverter. Much farther ahead to just buy a cheap 1000 or

2000 watt generator and siphon the gas out of your car to run it. The generator can be purchaced for less money than a decent 1000 watt inverter.
Reply to
clare

And I know how to SNIP

Make certain to run the exhaust into the kitchen for cooking purposes.

Reply to
Tekkie®

12 volt side and 2. the 120 volt side. The 12 volt side needs 10 times the amps to provide the same watts as what you see on the 120 volt side. Watts = volts X amps or if you do a little algebra Amps = watts/volts. So, if you are wanting to run a 120 volt electrical device, say a single 100-watt lightbulb, that pulls 100 watts at 120 volts then on the 120 volt side yo u have 100 watts/120 volts = 0.83 amps ON THE 120 VOLT SIDE...but on the 12 volt side that same 100 watts is pulling 100 watts/ 12 volts = 8.3 amp s! So your 1.0 amp air mattress at 120 volts is pulling 10 amps from the 1 2 volt side. If you are going to run a hand drill that pulls 7 amps of 120 volt juice then it will pull 70 amps of 12volt juice. For a 1000 watt inver ter measured on the 120 volt side you have to wire the 12 volt side with a wire size that will carry 1000 watts/12 volts = 83.3 amps!! To run 80 amp s 10 feet you need an absolute minimum of 4 guage wire. And I say minimum b ecause the calculations above do not provide any safety factor, just the mi nimum mathematical value. Wire guage capacity tables at given voltages are all over the internet.
Reply to
jamesco1954

[...]

Old thread.

I agree with what you're saying above. What I disagreed with was:

"You may need the proper gauge wire even when you're operating the inverter with a load that is far lower than it's capacity. "

Which seemed to be saying that you need wire that is rated for the max capacity of the inverter, even if the actual load is far less.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to sms, Kerry Schultz wrote: You should be using 0 gauge cable on any inverter rated @ or above 1500 w, If not then you will not get the expected results. I power a huge compressor off of a 5000w inverter from Harbor Freight. I use it daily out in the heat and never have an issue

Reply to
Kerry Schultz

replying to DerbyDad03, Tony944 wrote: Dealing with inverters can be puzzle some from what I know. There is big difference in construction of them most of them are rated for resistive load not inductive which make big difference, you would need to put on it 1000W. of resistive load to really know what is what.

Reply to
Tony944

replying to trader_4, Tony944 wrote: You did not specified the Voltage in/out? Also some inverters use lot power even so you may not have any load on them!!!

Reply to
Tony944

replying to DerbyDad03, Tony944 wrote: Use lamp in combine with pump. some solid state devices do not like inductive load, by use of incandescent bulb in parallel that can cure the problem.

Reply to
Tony944

Thanks for the update, but you are replying to a question that I asked over

2 years ago. The inverter has been gathering dust in my garage as I no longer need it. A jump-starter unit and 12V air mattress pump serves my purposes just fine, in fact even better, since it is more portable.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

It sounds defective to me. It's rated 1000W continuous, 2000 peak. That should certainly be able to handle a small 1A motor. In the reviews a guy said he used it to power his impact wrench to change a tire.

mtom46517

replying to DerbyDad03, HughMungus wrote: I agree it would be good to know how he's got it hooked up. But on the other hand, while it's *rated* at 1000W, the motor he's trying to run is more like

120W. The inverter would have to pull maybe 12 amps to support it, so if he has it wired in to something capable of supporting even 12 amps or so, it should still work. inverterreview.com
Reply to
HughMungus