Ceiling spk mounts-will this work?

Hi all,

I bought a house that is prewired for surround sound in the family room. Standard electrical boxes all mounted in the ceiling and covered with plastic blank covers. I was thinking about buying 5 aluminum colored, metal, blank plates and drilling each one with 3 holes. Two for the speaker mounts and a small one to pass the wire through. Since my speakers are also aluminum colored and so are the ceiling mounts, I was thinking this would give the whole job a nice, neat finished look. The speakers weight less than 1# and are 7" x 4" and I would think two screws through the plate would be plenty strong. 2 nuts & bolts on each plate to hold the mount. The only alternative would be to keep the blank plastic covers, drill a small hole to pass the speaker wire and then mount the ceiling mount very close by to all five of them. I think that would look too busy.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Joe J.

What you are talking will probably work, but ONLY if it is a metal box. I'd suggest you try to bolt the speakers to the plates, with lock nuts. Since the plates are pretty think, a screw won't have much bite. I'd then replace the regular plate screws with something a bit longer as well. If the box is plastic (or just a plaster ring and not even a full box) I'd mount the speakers to the ceiling, preferably into a ceiling joist and run the wire to the box. You can either drill the hole thru the plate (or buy ones with a hole already in them) or buy a plate with an RCA jack and then use a short jumper with an RCA plug from the speaker to the plate. Paint the plate the color of the ceiling if necessary to make it less noticable.

Reply to
Mark

Hi, Ideally ceiling speakers should be recessed into ceiling. If you don't mind the looks your idea will do but MAKE sure they are very well secured. I don't know how strong your amp. is it can vibrate the speaker enclosure causing unpleasant acoustic problem. Only pseaker should produce sound. Not the enclosure nor mounting plate.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A point is if its simply out of phase, bass will be nonextant, Yes I have pro sytems, use your Ear in tests.

Reply to
ransley

Piss off you spamer!

Reply to
Joe J.

Hi, Maintaining phase is simple. Just watch the speaker wires(it is poloarized by color of wire or strand on the insulation, etc) and where it goes to which terminal(usually marked with colored dot or size of terminal spade) on the speaker.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

\\ The only thing pro this quack ransley has is a degree in pro crazyness. Ignore all his ranting. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba