Carpentry Need Help.

We have a two family house about 70 - 80 years old. 10 Miles West of Boston, Massachusetts. As usual in the center of the House [front to back] large 10 X 12 Beam with at least 4 steal columns to support the large beam. Up on the first floor level as you would walk in between the rooms [left side to right] that is, walking across the 10 X 12 Beam, Which it happens to be from the front Foyer (vestibule) to the Living room without any doors about 8 feet opening, there is a slight rise [noticeable] a hump on the floor, 10 feet down to the next room with a

3 feet opening without a door just as you would walk in to the Dining room there is a noticeable slight rise on the floor where the two rooms divide. My Question, how can we fix this problem,has anyone had worked on this type or on a similar problem? I appreciate any help given to us on this mater, and thanks in advance.

Thanks, -- Chuck

Reply to
csmith96

I'm not sure I completely understand. You say there is a rise in a couple of places. It is more likely there is a drop in the other places. If that is the case, the floor needs to be jacked and supported. This is done by putting a solid concrete pad below the beam, then putting screw jacks in place and slowly raising them up until everything is level. This is often done over a day or so just moving a tiny bit at a time so nothing cracks.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski