Car jumper cable wire size

A local news article talked about hiring certified mechanics. One fellow commented that 75% of candidates applications did no qualify.

The article went on to mention battery replacement and GPS module repairs in these fancy save the earth electric cars. People are just not up to snuff on certifications.

Call Uber?

Reply to
Oren

Ex cable guy here. We'd jump the service trucks with 10 gauge solid insulated copper used to bond cable to ground. It would get warm but was enough to start a run down battery.

Reply to
cable_shill

Last time I needed to use one on a mate's wife's car, the car was in a parking lot at the hospital nose in where it wasn’t possible to park beside it. I fudged it by driving mine over the grass at the side of the parking lot and got away with that because it was after the chemotherapy place had closed and there was no one around. So the longer the better if you want to handle all situations easily.

16 feet doesn’t really take up much more space than 10 feet given it lies pretty flat.

And for the mindless nit pickers, it wasn’t feasible to push the car out of the parking place, there was just me and her ancient mother and her ancient mother's mate there. He was 70 miles away and rang me to get me to help her.

Yeah, can be handy at times. Tho one of those Li ion power bank starters is even more convenient at times because you don’t need another car to jump start to;. Cost more tho.

Reply to
Rod Speed

+1
Reply to
TimR

TimR snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have always were that terminal a pig ignorant f****it.

Yes, but the difference is that with a flat or sulphated battery, the engine can still be cranked over, albeit very slowly, but the battery may well be producing a much lower than normal voltage that isnt enough to produce a decent spark to get the engine firing in the worst weather conditions in a car with an old well f***ed distributor and plug leads and spark plugs.

Reply to
Rod Speed

... clean the wire and use vise grips ;)

Reply to
Oren

.. made me wonder how old the car would be - if it has a distributor - early 1990's ? or even older ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

20 foot 2 gauge will never fail you. Probably overkill, but I still have 2 sets. They are good for conducting enough current to start most cars in sub-zero conditions, even with a dead battery. If it's got engine problems all bet are off. Here a couple tips. You must hear a load on the alternator of the charging car when you connect the cables. It's very noticeable. If you don't hear it you don't have a good connection. Especially with thin cable, once you know your connection is good, wait a minute or three before you try to start the dead car. If it barely cranks, wait longer. Longer cables make for easier good connections, but longer also means thicker.
Reply to
Vic Smith

The boosters I had on my Ramcharger were 00 welding cable and 25 feet long - so 50 feet of cable. Were good for pulling in a driveway behind a dead car and jumping it to life. They plugged into welding machine sockets on the left front fender.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yes, that is true - but you can run the flag down the pole. If the battery "sags" from the cranking current there is not enough VOLTAGE left to make a good spark. That's why on Kettering ignition (typical points and condenser type of years gone by) there was often a ballast residtor that ewas shunted out of the circuit for starting. The coil was designed to run on 7 or 8 volts - about the voltage available from the battery when cranking a cold engine. Once running the resistor in the circuit limited the coil current to what it would be at 8 volts.

This was done because a 12 volt coil running on 8 volts coukld not fire the plugs reliably.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Computerized electronic ignition is even fussier. Many will not provide a spark (oe fire the injectors) below 9 volts - and some will not produce a spark below about 600 rpm cranking speed (ones with inductive pickup instead of hall effect)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The 00 cables I had on the Ramcharger would start a diesel truck or tractor as long as it was 12 volts, not 24. - from 25 feet away.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

+1
Reply to
trader_4

Yes, they would be fine for a car that you use mostly for commuting to work each day that's within range, a second car that you use around the area you live in, etc. The serious problem is that they are not practical for trips that are at or beyond the range limit. Even more limited if you're coming back the same day and have to do it roundtrip. Hybrids don't have that problem.

Reply to
trader_4

Huh. I spoke too soon. I can see how cranking could drop the voltage enough to cause other problems, I hadn't thought of that.

I will fold that flag and save it for later. Shouldn't need to wait long, with this crowd.

Reply to
TimR

Some gutless drunken drug crazed f****it desperately cowering behind trader_4 snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net mindlessly nit picked, just like it always does when its got done like a f****ng dinner, as it always is.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Some gutless drunken drug crazed f****it desperately cowering behind trader_4 snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net mindlessly nit picked, just like it always does when its got done like a f****ng dinner, as it always is.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Some gutless drunken drug crazed f****it desperately cowering behind trader_4 snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net mindlessly nit picked, just like it always does when its got done like a f****ng dinner, as it always is.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Some gutless drunken drug crazed f****it desperately cowering behind trader_4 snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote just the pathetic excuse for bullshit that you'd expect from a desperately cowering drunken drug crazed gutless f****it.

Reply to
Rod Speed