Can you save $ by shutting steam radiators in unused rooms?

I am temporarily living on the second floor of a 2 family house that belonged to my relatives until they passed away. If I shut off all of the radiators in the unused apartment, will that save money on the heating bill? Is that bad for the pipes in the downstairs apartment or the heating system? Any help appreciated - Thanks.

Reply to
rebbor

Yes , the boiler should be a demand type system , shutting off heating loops will reduce the demand .

It should not harm the pipes , depending on how long you have them closed. Long term shutdown on a clsed system and I would look at one of the additives .

If its a single system you may find shutoffs for each loop in the basement near the boiler.

Of course if the weather outside is below freezing you would need to winterize the unheated rooms.

Reply to
marks542004

The quick and dirty way of protecting the radiator from freezing AND reducing system demand is to just wrap a blanket around the radiators in the "closed off" rooms. The pipes will still be nice and hot but the room just will not get much heat anymore.

BTW: it just isn't a good idea to let rooms get TOO cold in the winter.

Reply to
John Gilmer