Can neutral service wire be insulated?

Two questions.

Can the neutral wire coming from the meter pan to the main panel be insulated? I just bought enough 2/0 THHN to run the two mains and the neutral.

What is the minimum size sch 40 pvc conduit required for 3 2/0 THHN wires? If it matters the conduit run will be less than 5'.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Of course. Mark it with white tape or paint at the ends, so you know which one is the neutral.

For 3 wires, maximum conductor fill is 40% of the conduit cross-section. Per

2008 NEC, Chapter 9, Table 5, the cross-sectional area of one 2/0 THHN is 0.2223 sq in, so three of them is 0.6669 sq in. Your conduit needs to be at least 2.5 times that area, or >= 1.667 sq in. Per Chapter 9, Table 4, the smallest Sch.40 PVC conduit that is large enough is 1-1/2".

If you have even one bend to go around, you will find the conductors *much* easier to pull if you use 2" conduit.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thanks Doug.

I was thinking about using 2" PVC but the LBs are huge. Not a problem outside but fitting a 2" LB inside between the joists to make the turn down to my main panel is going to be really tight. To make it even more difficult several of the branch circuit wires run straight up above where the panel is going.

I'll probably go with the 1 1/2" only do give myself a little more room around the conduit. The run is pretty short: 2' from the meter pan- 90deg turn into house- almost an immediate 90 again to go down to the panel.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Don't say I didn't warn you. :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

You can use insulated THHN/THWN for the neutral, just be sure to mark it white with paint or tape. Three 2/0s will fit in 1 1/2 pipe but usually they use 2" sch 80 for services, probably because that is what they carry on the truck. The Sch 80 part is up to your AHJ

Reply to
gfretwell

It'll be a bitch in 1 1/2. If it's a one time deal lay out your wire and put each piece of conduit on it one at a time. In other words put the conduit on the wire instead of pulling the wire through the conduit.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

A few months ago I got a "small" 2" LB at Lowes. It was right next to the normal giant ones. My brother the electrician was half joking half serious mumbling under his breath asking himself why he even showed me the small ones and let me choose. I can only imagine how difficult a

1.5" will be. And I also was wondering if in most applications the neutral would normally be a size smaller? If things are tight, can you strip the insulation off of the neutral to make things just a tiny bit easier?
Reply to
Tony

Limp Arbor wrote: ...

... Google "pull elbow"

Reply to
dpb

I doubt you will find them any bigger than 3/4". He is stuck with an LB

Reply to
gfretwell

OK, "access fittings" for larger diameters.

Reply to
dpb

I'm convinced. I'll go with the giant 2" LB only because using a DWV sch40 long sweep painted grey might make the inspector frown.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Limp Arbor wrote: ...

Again, look at access fittings; they're 90-degree w/ access for the pull to make it straight shot as well as take up less room in tight locations.

--

Reply to
dpb

| I was thinking about using 2" PVC but the LBs are huge. Not a problem | outside but fitting a 2" LB inside between the joists to make the turn | down to my main panel is going to be really tight.

Could you use 2" until the point where things get tight and then reduce? My service entrance conduit reduces near where it reaches the meter box.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Thanks Doug.

I was thinking about using 2" PVC but the LBs are huge. Not a problem outside but fitting a 2" LB inside between the joists to make the turn down to my main panel is going to be really tight. To make it even more difficult several of the branch circuit wires run straight up above where the panel is going.

I'll probably go with the 1 1/2" only do give myself a little more room around the conduit. The run is pretty short: 2' from the meter pan- 90deg turn into house- almost an immediate 90 again to go down to the panel.

All the more reason to use 2". Three 90 degree bends in 2/0 are going to be hell in 1 1/2"

Reply to
RBM

This may work

Limp Arbor

If you're short on room I'm talking about these --

This was first one loaded; it's 1-1/4" but they're made 2" and larger. As well as this configuration there are others that change orientation of the short side to handle whichever direction the bend needs to go...

I was pretty sure I'd seen conventional pull-elbows at least 1-1/4" and surprised if they're not available even larger as well but perhaps not.

--

Reply to
dpb

This may work

======================================

You can also use yellow pulling grease.

Reply to
Existential Angst

*Is there any particular reason why you can't use service entrance cable for this?
Reply to
John Grabowski

Couldn't you also use 2" Greenfield, or Sealtite for this. You might have a time finding that size sold by the foot, but you can check around. I have never had occasion to buy any. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

You would not be able to make the turn in a 2x4 wall with 2"

Reply to
gfretwell