Buzzing Fluorescent Lamps

I'm at my wits end here.

I have two identical rapid start 2 lamp 4 foot T12 fixtures in my bathroom both of which are about a year old. One buzzes and always has; the other is silent. I want to install a new fluorescent fixture in the kitchen but SWMBO says not if it buzzes and points to the bathroom fixture and my inability to stop its buzzing. Since this isn't the first fixture that buzzed she points out that obviously fluorescent lights are not yet ready for prime time. Unfortunately I have to agree with her but in a last ditch effort to prove that it's mere accident and not the innate incompetence of the manufacturers I'm trying to get the bathroom buzzer to stop.

Both lights are on the same circuit wired through one switch. The hot/black is the wire interrupted and is correctly connected to the black from the ballast in each. When the switch is off neither white nor black carry any current. The white is correctly connected to the white of the ballast. I've checked and re-checked all electrical connections. Both fixtures and hence the ballasts are grounded properly. I've swapped the lamps from the non-buzzer to the buzzer. No effect; the buzzer still buzzes. I've replaced the lamps in the buzzer with new ones. It still buzzes. Since the buzzing seems to come from the ballast, I bought and installed a new ballast (same size for T12

40 W); the new ballast buzzes just the same as the original.

I'm not sure if this has any relevance but if I remove both lamps (with the switch on) the buzzing stops. If I then install one lamp there's no buzzing but the lamp doesn't light. If I then install the second lamp both lamps light and the ballast buzzes.

Someone must have some ideas...

Reply to
WonderfulFellow

The ballast is probly just vibrating cause of loose mounting.

Maybe try putting a layer of electrical tape under it between it and the metal light fixture frame or something along those lines.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Excellent advice.

See also:

Travis Jordan

I agree with RBM Replace them with good T-8's and you will likely be very happy. Greater efficiency, much less chance of buzzing.

You might be able to retrofit the old fixtures with replacement electronic ballast, but just replacing the whole thing is a better idea in my mind.

She who must be obeyed, will think you are a hero.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan