Building steps

I never said that corroding rebar in concrete couldn't cause a problem -- I'm simply taking issue with your stand that putting steel into concrete

*automatically* poses a corrosion problem that will necessarily destroy the concrete.
Reply to
Doug Miller

What on earth is *that* supposed to mean? You think I have something against you personally?

Reply to
Doug Miller

No, and it probably wouldn't matter a whole hell of a lot to either of us if you did, right? It seems we're both pretty frank about things.

RicodJour

This is what I wrote in my first response to the OP: "Another reason is that iron has a tendency to rust. When it rusts it expands. This would put the concrete in tension and concrete really doesn't like to be put in tension. In other words it would tend to break up the steps.

Use rocks, brick, or other busted up concrete if you need some filler. "

I used the words tendency, would, tend to - there is nothing there that says in all occasions all steel rusts. I also put the rusting issue in second place in my short list of reasons. You made a massive assumption that I was somehow referring to all situations and you got snarky about it.

Your two comments; "How are they going to get bigger while they're encased in concrete?" and "Oh, for heaven's sake. Haven't you ever heard of rebar?" imply that you equated an engine block dumped in a hole in the ground, with engineered and correctly installed reinforced concrete. I took exception to that.

I appreciate that you think the OP - a guy who wants to toss a considerable quantity of scrap iron into a set of steps as filler - as being so clued in to the correct amount of concrete coverage, and would know how to suspend an engine block to insure that amount of coverage. I have no such illusions.

RicodJour

-- I'm

ideally all rebar should be non magnetic stainless, which never rusts.........

Reply to
bob haller

Ideally all people should understand the various properties of 'stainless steel'... Stainless rusts just fine when *not* exposed to air!

Reply to
PeterD

I would like a link to that! I was told non magnetic stainless doesnt rust.

What makes this problem worse in florida was the use of beach sand containg salt.

this info courtesy of this old house episode:)

Reply to
bob haller

I'll see what I can dig up. This is 'common knowledge' among boat builders, but not others. Problem being that the stainless looks really good on the exposed surfaces, then when you try to remove it, you find a 'ton' of rust on the burried parts. You could also try searching various marine sites too, I'm sure you will find it.

FWIW, I didn't believe it when I was told first about the problem, then managed to see it as I did work on boats.

I think the entire state of Florida contains salt! WHere in Florida are you, I'm frequnently in Tampa, and when to high school in NPR.

Reply to
PeterD

No friggin' way. That simply means that virtually any cement highway in NY, NJ, or MI is suspect! They are all full of holes!

(I remember reading a few months ago about the city of NY digging up a location and finding a bunch of bodies: a mafia graveyard, apparently, with little hope of ever identifying those burried in the hole!)

Regardless we all know Jimmy Hoffa is alive and well, living with Elvis in North Dakota.

Reply to
PeterD

Oxygen is inseparable from oxidation (rusting). I think it's more likely that moisture was getting into those hidden areas and staying there longer.

RicodJour

You can use stainless bolts and nuts, but there are good practices when doing so, just as everything else in life.

PeterD was saying the stainless rusts when there's no oxygen, and that's what I was addressing, that you addressed, that I just addressed. Okay, I'm going to go up on a ladder now, I'm getting dizzy down here. ;)

RicodJour

Anti sieze compund

Reply to
JIMMIE

Stainless tends to 'gall' and freeze up. I've had stainless to stainless fastners freeze when tightening, friction welded into one piece so strong that the bolt sheared off but the nut never moved!

Reply to
PeterD

Stainless on stainless is used VERY frequently........why else would there be a vast selection of SS bolts & nuts?

galling is a potential problem with SS on SS but the use of proper plating or lubes will help a lot

cheers Bob

PS stop using TV as an uncorroborated source of technical information

Reply to
fftt

SS has a huge tendency to gall......I once screwed together, by hand, a dry SS short nipple (2" pipe) into a fitting. Only a couple turns and the assembly almost seized up on me!

The pipe thread was a pipe rough, I didn't us any tape, lube or dope.....I was just doing a dry fit up.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

........ Oxygen is inseparable from oxidation (rusting).

yup

..... I think it's more likely that moisture was getting into those hidden areas and staying there longer.

yup, again

first of all the term "stainless steel" though popular & widely used is not the "correct" term for the material under discussion

the more correct terminology is "corrosion resistant"

btw all "stainless steels" will rust / corrode under the "right" conditions

another little know fact, so called "non-magnetic", 18-8 stainless steels (typically 300 series) can, when "worked" by certain processes, in fact, exhibit magnetic properties

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

rusts...........

I'm late to the party but if they are really concerned about corrosion in the rebar maybe they should look into getting some of the (fairly) new stuff called MMFX rebar. It is five times as corrosion-resistant and up to three times as strong as conventional steel. He could use less steel and it would last longer than just about any other comparable product. Ameristeel is advertising a product called "Z-Bar" that is better (per their claim, not mine) than just plain epoxy coated bars, but I have not been involved with any project that used this material, so I can't say anything one way or the other about it.

Reply to
TheRebarGuy

Whats the green rebar I saw a while back, was it a coating?

Reply to
creative1986

Yep. It's an epoxy coating. It's used in construction where the rebar will be subjected to harsh conditions and rusting is an issue.

RicodJour

I think that is the epoxy (or some sort of plastic) coated stuff. As they lay it out, somebody has to go spot-treat all the spots where they weld it or cut it, lest that provide an entry point for water to get under the protective layer. The spot repairs I see are red, probably to make it quick to check and see that none got missed. A color like green would also make any damaged rusty spots jump out at you.

The green stuff is all I ever see anymore used on bridge or parking garage work around here in salt country. Even see it used on vertical work, like for exposed concrete on buildings.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers