Branch 25'-30' up in tree; any EASY way to trim it?

OK... this may be a simple question BUT...

I have a branch occluding my satellite receiver (or so I believe). This branch is only about 1" dia at the base. It's just a little guy so it makes sense to try to clip it to see if my reception improves.

The catch is that this branch is a good 25'-30' up in the tree.

Any ideas how to trim this branch without having to invest in some serious equipment or paying someone to come out and do it? Are there any do-it-yourself devices which can reach that high?

Stellijer

Remington w/ .308 Win. Magnum and 4X scope (sorry, couldnt resist)

I did mine by climbing up the tree.

Rudy

Got a ladder? Got a pole saw? If not, get both. Either buy them or borrow them. If you own property with trees, you'll need them, sooner or later.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

I figure anyone using "occluding" in a sentence can afford to hire a tree trimmer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

How about one of those emergency rope or wire saws with extra rope on both ends, you could use a sling shot or other means to get a small line over it to pull the saw up,

Reply to
Unkle Megs

LOL! Yes... the Remington (or similar) was surely an idea. However a good silencer would be an absolute MUST lest the neighbors be scared! (and with my luck I'd read the day after of people to the south of me getting hit by stray fire)...

The way this tree grows it's not really an option to climb it. It goes too far OUT from any main branch (it's a live oak which spreads like crazy)

Reply to
Stellijer

I have both. But me ON the ladder and the pole saw in hands only reached to around maybe 20' high (I only have a 6' ladder and when you consider I had to grip the pole about 18" at least). I've surely needed the pole saw at times but never needed to reach THAT high.

I *am* considering a 10' or 12' ladder, though, for various reasons, and maybe I could get an extension for the pole...

Reply to
Stellijer

LOL!

Oh, if only it always worked that way! Anyway - "COULD" afford doesn't always equate to "WISH" to pay. Not for such minute a reason as this ;)

Reply to
Stellijer

Hmm.

Surely an idea. I am not terribly familiar with those but one could be handy. Indeed, the issue there would only be 'slingshot'ting it up there.

Reply to
Stellijer

High-limb rope saw.

It's like a chain saw, without the motor. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Not a new idea; I swear I've seen something very similar in an old documentary on Sweden.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

PrecisionMachinisT

Was to cut down a (whole) 40' tree at a friends place-no ladder available. Wanted to make sure it fell toward the road, NOT the house on other side, the direction in which it was leaning. Took a rope and half of one of those old firebrick with the 3 holes thru them. Rope to brick, threw the brick over a branch about 20' up and once it was down, undid the brick, made a simple "eye' in the rope, passed the end thru and pulled til the eye/loop slid up and grabbed the tree @ 20' level- tied off tight across the road and timberrr. .. Right down on the road. Got half a brick ?

Reply to
Rudy

Climb the tree. If you can't do that, then just hire someone to do it and be done with it.

Reply to
Phisherman

My RCA Directv dish is pointed *right* at the middle of a huge Beach tree, & gets a 95% signal. Maybe you have another problem?

Bert

Reply to
Bert

Ive heard of Rope saw blades attached to 2 pieces of rope and thrown in place. A possibility.

Reply to
m Ransley

No kidding, folks, I did have a friend name Bob who is a farmer. he had a tree rubbing on the power line.

His other friend Bucky (who runs a septic pumping service, and dumps his truck on Bob's farm fields) suggested blow it off with a shotgun. Bucky has always been a bit crazy.

Bob had tried a couple rounds of #8 birdshot, but the pattern was too wide. I suggested a slug.

He went in and got his shotgun, and a slug shell for me. I considered the "backstop", what's behind the tree. Picked my direction for safety. I lined it up, hold my breath, and squeeze gently.

The gun went off, and kicked pretty good. And the branch come tumbling down. It was pretty goofy, but it did the job nicely.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmm. Would make sense to make a couple phone calls, see if you can borrow a taller ladder. Longer pole saw gets kinda clumsy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Minute?" This "minute" issue is the difference between TV or no TV.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

According to Stellijer :

We once had to retrieve something from about 35' up a pretty massive (but unclimbable by us) tree.

- We ran an 18' extension ladder up the tree, and tied it off to the trunk.

- Then, we spliced two pool poles together with duct tape, with a hook on the top end.

- The lightest adult (not me ;-) climbed up the ladder, and tied _himself_ to the tree.

- handed him the pole.

- After much cursing, swearing and general merriment, he managed to hook the thing down...

A pole saw would be horrible. A pole _lopper_ might be okay, if you can get the pole stiff enough to not buckle when you pull on the rope.

A good tree service guy could probably scramble up your tree and do it in less than 10 minutes. We use a tree service whose tree monkey could probably have it off in less than 30 seconds from arriving. But I think your're a little too far away from where Mick lives... ;-)

Call your local tree services, as long as you can make it real convenient for them (ie: "any time you're in our area"), they might just do it for what amounts to, say, a quarter or half an hour of their per-person hourly rate.

It's just good business for them...

Our service charges $50CDN/hour/man (these guys are worth it!).

Reply to
Chris Lewis

No, it is not a new idea; I used one 20 years ago. They really really suck; but if you are patient enough, they do work.

Reply to
toller