box wire fill and smoke detector wires

Greetings,

I have been told that the ***plug wires*** for a 120V wired smoke detector do not count towards the wire fill of the box. I just wanted to confirm that this is correct or incorrect.

Thanks, William

Reply to
William.Deans

When did they start putting spark plugs in smoke detectors?

Reply to
Matt

Pigtails usually aren't counted towards box fill. Never know with some inspectors, 'tho.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Matt,

120V smoke detectors normally have a male plug. The female plug has 3 leads which extend into the octagon box and are attached with wire nuts.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Per the NEC, pigtails are *never* counted: "Conductors, no part of which leaves the box, _shall_not_ be counted." [emphasis added]

Reply to
Doug Miller

That's correct.

"Where ... not over four fixture wires smaller than No. 14... enter a box from a fixture canopy and terminate within that box, it shall be permitted to omit these conductors from the calculations." [NEC, Art. 370-16 (a) 1 exception]

Reply to
Doug Miller
5 STAR RESPONSE

Thank you very much Doug Miller. That was exactly what I was looking for!

Reply to
William.Deans