Boiler Furnace.

Just had a new boiler furnace ( baseboard heat ) installed. Also got rid of my very old thermostat & installed a new digital setback type. My question is, what's the deal on setting back a boiler a few degrees at night. Considering the time it runs in the morning to get the temp. back to normal, am I really saving anything or not ?? Any ideas, thanks Gimpy

Reply to
Gimpy

Yes. Heat loss is proportional to the difference in temperature between the inside and outside. While your thermostat is set back the temperature difference is less than it otherwise would have been, thus less heat needed.

Reply to
krw

Okay, you have a boiler, not a furnace (which heats air.) The boiler has a thermostat (separate from the one for the house), that controls the temperature of the water-jacket; good idea to turn that down, within reason, for efficiency, so long as you have adequate recovery rate in the house.

IOW, you might want the "aquastat" to be set to 180 deg F in Feb., but

160 is fine for March, and 140 okay through summer. Unless you have separately-fired water-heater, and turn boiler off for summer.

Yes, you will save, proportional to night setback, and reduction of water temp, within restriction of what it takes to bring temps back up on frosty morn.

barry