Boiler efficiency?

Can someone explain how gas-fired boiler efficiency is measured? This is for the baseboard hot water heating system in the house. I've been at home all day this year and had the heat up so I expected a much bigger heat bill. But no -- it has been right in the middle, and I have records for the last 10 years. However, I seem to pay 50% more than neighbors in similar houses.

That suggests the heat lost through the ceiling and walls is not the major factor. So it must be going up the flue. My hunch is that high efficiency is indicated by low flue gas temperature because all the heat is being transferred to the water in the heating system. They must check the CO and CO2 content, also, as a indication of total combustion.

Can anyone fill in the details? Thanks.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

If they use a Bacharrac (sp?) kit, they usually measure the CO2 and the temp, then there is a "slide rule" that shows the efficiency

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

'If they use a Bacharrac (sp?) kit,'

ME: Bacharach Inc.

Reply to
HVAC fella

Thanks for the lead.

good, but a bit pricey for home use.

I would like to know the formula for converting the various measured quantities to per cent efficiency. Of course, the air inflow will affect efficiency, but what else? Have there been improvments, say in the geometry of the burner, that have improved the heat transfer from the flame to water in the boiler? Would replacing the boiler lower my fuel costs for heating?

Reply to
William W. Plummer

First off, HVAC Fella is a pedophilic moron....

More to follow...

The combustion analyzers test operational, as opposed to steady state efficiency. Steady state is the efficiency over a set amount of time of the whole unit, not just the combustion efficiency.

Not much else....

Yes, there has been improvements in burner technology.

Probably, but since we can't see it through the computer screen, we can't really tell.

You need to get a licensed, competent, insured HVAC company out to check your system. Most of the new stuff will save you money, but only if they are installed correctly and checked for proper operation.

HVAC fella only spouts what hears from the real pros. He ain't licensed in his state (well maybe in his state of mind....).

Reply to
HeatMan

'First off, HVAC Fella is a pedophilic moron.... '

ME: Proof ?

'only spouts what hears from the real pros. He ain't licensed in his state (well maybe in his state of mind....).'

ME: Proof ?

Reply to
HVAC fella

HVAC fella wrote: 'If they use a Bacharrac (sp?) kit,' ME: Bacharach Inc. Thanks for the lead.

Youre welcome William.

Reply to
HVAC fella

Read what Tekkie posted.

If you don't want to tell us, remember what CBHVAC said. He checked your state licensing board and found no evidence of any license in your name. At least Stormin' Moron admits he's new to the field (and a hack).

Reply to
HeatMan

Dave also wants to ask William if he has any young boys at home available for some Michael Jackson sleepovers at his house!!!

Reply to
dave is a HVAC IDIOT